• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 wont communicate with ODIN

cooket3

Jul 15, 2011
Hi

My Phone got stuck in a boot loop and needs to be fixed with a new Firmwire.

I have downloaded the latest firmware but ODIN wont connect to my phone. I have tried the following versions of ODIN:

Odin 1.83, 1.85, 3.04, 3.06, 3.07, 3.09 and they all can see the phone (where it is highlighted either blue or yellow. But when it comes to trying to put the new software on, ODIN gets stuck at the "Setup Connection" then fails. Below is an extract from ODIN

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9100XWLSW_I9100XXMS2_I9100CPWLS4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I have tried with the latest Kies installed and I have also tried with Kies uninstalled, as I have read some posts that it interferes.

Is there another option I can use to try get ODIN to connect? Would it help If i uninstalled the Samsung USB Drivers?

I have been trying for months to get my phone fixed. The battery is also fully charged and in download mode

Thanks

Sorry its been a while, but ive been trying for ages every other day with out much success.

Odin has since completed the first bit after connection but took hours, and started the cache.img or the next stage, however this took many hours before anything happened and I had to leave the PC on over night, which when I woke it had failed!

Im assuming this process should not take hours like this. How long should it really be taking?

Upvote 0
Im assuming this process should not take hours like this. How long should it really be taking?

10 ~ 15 minutes.

Dodgy connections or failing USB ports can cause this sort of problem. Just to be clear, you are able to get your phone into download mode and when you plug it into your PC Odin will recognize that it's connected?

I would try a.) a different cable; b.) a different USB port; c.) a different PC.

Upvote 0
Extract from the Dummies Guide...

#2.1. Step 1.

Ensure that your phone is fully charged.

On your phone, go to... Settings > Applications > Developement > USB debugging and check the box.

(On ICS/JB ROM's.. Settings > Developer options > USB debugging and check the box)

Put your phone into Download mode by turning it off completely and then press and hold the following buttons... Volume Down + Home (centre hard key) + (lastly) Power. Continue to hold these buttons until your phone boots into the Warning! screen asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel. Press Volume Up. See video, here.

#2.2. Step 2.

Right click on Odin and select, "Run as Administrator", to open it. Ensure that the Samsung Kies programme is not running at the same time as this can cause problems

With Odin displayed on your PC screen, click on the PDA button and navigate to the .tar file, that you placed on your home screen, and select it.

Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked and that Auto Reboot, F.Reset Time and PDA are checked and that the PDA box now contains your .tar file.

#2.3. Step 3.

Connect your phone, still in Download mode, to the PC using the USB lead. If you have successfully connected to Odin you should see the ID:COM box in Odin turn yellow or light blue, (depending on which version of Odin you are using).

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
10 ~ 15 minutes.

Dodgy connections or failing USB ports can cause this sort of problem. Just to be clear, you are able to get your phone into download mode and when you plug it into your PC Odin will recognize that it's connected?

I would try a.) a different cable; b.) a different USB port; c.) a different PC.

Yes I can get it into download mode and ODIN recognises it. Ive tried a few different cables and the USB Ports. My PC is old enough to be a grandad now, and i think all the USB ports are 1.0! Plus its super slow. I am hopefuly getting a new PC soon so will try it on there too. I have also tried it on my works PC

Upvote 0
Just retried ODIN and now i got a result back within seconds!

Just a shame its the fail

<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> boot.bin
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> cache.img
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

When I first plugged in the phone the PC recognised it and said it was installed ready for use, but straight after the fail my pc said my phone was unrecognisable and not installed properly.

Any more suggestions? Ill keep trying too

Upvote 0
Assuming boot recovery is volume up, home and power this doesnt work. How do you factory reset the phone?

Volume down + power, and volume down + home + power puts my phone into download mode, which is different to youtube vids ive seen.

I miss the good old days when you just needed something pointy to press a hidden button to reset things!

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones