• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help galaxy s2 wont recognise my external harddrive

Milomolly

Lurker
Oct 13, 2012
Ok, i want to connect my 150gb external, powered harddrive to my NOT ROOTED samsung galaxy s2.

The hardrive is powered up and working, my computer can add and remove files on it so i know there is nothing wrong with the harddrive

I connected it to my galaxy s2 using a mini usb to female usb cable (seen these refered to as otg) it recognised that there was something plugged in and I got a notification bar message saying usb connector connected.

However, thats the only message i got (nothing saying media scanning or mass storage etc) and no folder appeared on the phone sayin usb storage.

at first i thought it was the cable, but i plugged a pen drive in to the phone using the cable and its fine and i can edit the pen drive using the phone. Then i thought it was the formatting of the hardrive so i formatted one of the two partitions on it (around 70gb) to fat32 and still it wont work.

the 'settings/usb utilities' button that says connect storage to pc just produces a message saying connect usb cable to use mass storage' regardless of if i press it then connect or connect then press it

PLEASE help :(

I had this problem, and although I never fixed it, the ONLY thing I could think of that caused this issue was the file system.

Please feel free to correct me anyone, bit I THINK Android only works with a Fat32 system, and if the external drive is NTFS, then Android won't be able to see it.

Of course I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

I've no fat32 external drive to test my theory.

Andy

Upvote 0
NTFS is not supported in stock S2 roms. If you still want NTFS support for your mounted drives, you will need to root your phone - and then install this from the play store.

The S2 primarily supports Linux EXT2-4 filesystems and for external storage, FAT32/exFAT filesystems (tested on an 8GB flash stick).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones