• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 as desktop webcam to record. Possible?

sneakyla

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
Possible? probably yes. but I need to know how.

I have an really old webcam that won't be supported by windows 7 so I need to buy a new one but at this moment, I'm a little too broke but I figured... what if I can use my cellphone as my webcam just because it has a camera? I'm just trying to use it as a facecam recorder to put it on the top corner of a game I'm recording as I'm playing. I'm not looking to stream it online, just recording it and posting it on youtube or another website. So please tell me this is possible, I did download IP Webcam on my S3 but not sure how exactly to set it up to work as my webcam and record to my PC. If there is any solution to this, please help me out! Thank you!

Not possible, just buy a webcam. If you can afford the Galaxy S3 you can afford a HD webcam.
Most likely can't be done.

This is because the S3 connects to PCs as a media device, therefore you would need to change the settings on the phone to make the PC recognise it as a webcam; I assume that would be through a series of hacks, mods and roots that probably don't yet exist - but could be a good next venture for someone...

Upvote 0
Possible? probably yes. but I need to know how.

I have an really old webcam that won't be supported by windows 7 so I need to buy a new one but at this moment, I'm a little too broke but I figured... what if I can use my cellphone as my webcam just because it has a camera? I'm just trying to use it as a facecam recorder to put it on the top corner of a game I'm recording as I'm playing. I'm not looking to stream it online, just recording it and posting it on youtube or another website. So please tell me this is possible, I did download IP Webcam on my S3 but not sure how exactly to set it up to work as my webcam and record to my PC. If there is any solution to this, please help me out! Thank you!
Install IP Webcam. Start the program and options come up pick your options and scroll to the bottom and press "Start server". Just above the ad at the bottom of the screen you'll see an address. Type it into your computer browser, hit enter and you'll get a list of options of what you can do with the program.
Hope this helps.

Edit:
I had the front facing camera on to see the URL to put in your computer browser. I didn't set anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones