• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 Battery Issue

chris34720

Oct 7, 2012
Hi guys

i have a galaxy s3 and i think its a brilliant phone the only issue i have is the battery will only last 6 - 8 hours a day that's even if the phones in sleep mode (phone locked)

The phone is only 3 months old and is in immaculate condition it is stock rom and is not rooted.

i have brightness to about 35% tried a battery saver but they don't seem to do much for me

I do have about 80 apps on my phone ive checked the battery settings and the only thing using the battery is the screen and it says 40%

Took it to the phone shop today and the guy seems to think its a phone problem hardware or software related

can someone confirm

should i send it back to be looked at ?

I went out today with 30% battery in the hour i lost about 10% even with the phone locked and a battery saver running.

Ive tried disabling auto sync but people say auto sync doesn't effect the battery that much

to be fair the battery saver does my head in every time i unlock my phone it disables data service and wifi

First off if you are losing 10% in an hour that could be typical, especially if you are using the device.

I mean if you are extremely upset with the battery performance you could always look into an Extended Battery and see if that helps. I mean it sounds like your battery is performing less than it should so if you deem it necessary send it back to be looked at, it can't hurt.

Otherwise i would suggest in getting an extended battery, there are plenty for your device on Amazon :)

Moving thread into the Galaxy S3 forums too!

Upvote 0
I've been watching my battery usage very carefully since I got it a couple of weeks ago and, with light useage (no gaming, some surfing, reading at lunchtime for about 3-4 hours a day of screen-on time), I'm averaging about 7%/hr.

I did notice that the update to Jelly Bean brought with it an increased use of the system kernel and maps which is to be expected with Google Now.

I just bought docks for home and work plus a lightly larger battery so I'm not gonna worry about it. It works out to be better than my iPhone 4S was by a long shot.

Upvote 0
I really can't wrap my head around the battery issue on my S3.

If I turn the screen brightness up to 60%, switch on schedule check e-mail, install FB, twitter, turn on Google Now, Wifi on, GPS on etc. I'll end up with around 10% of battery by 9pm. Now with brightness down to 20%, manually check e-mail, no social apps, google now off, wifi off most of the time, GPS off most of the time I still end up around 10% arounf 9pm. I tested this for 4days during the week

I feel like the phone wants to do this. it wants to make sure that the battery stays around 10-80% at all the time. When fully charged the first few percent drop really fast. Like 100%-90% in a few minutes, then stay like that until the end of the day.

Can't understand why :thinking:

Upvote 0
If it was me, to 100% determine if the issue is hardware or software id fully backup the S3 then do a factory restore. DO NOT restore from your back and give the phone a few days to see how your battery performs. If the issue is solved you know it is software if not its a hardware issue and warranty should cover it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones