1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Galaxy S3 Dock Charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sashreek, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Sashreek

Sashreek Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Student
    Hyderabad,AP,India
    I'm thinking of buying the official Samsung Dock Charger for S3
    which has a separate compartment for spare battery. I was wondering if we can charge only the spare battery without the phone connected to the dock charger
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Advertisement

2. TadeoNYC

TadeoNYC Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    I just got this item. It is not really a phone dock. There is no power docking connector for the phone, only a micro-usb port for the charging cable to charge the battery. It comes with a .7 amp charger. I haven't charged any battery in it yet, because I am using battery monitor widget to watch the calibration of the new battery, and I had to reset the history. So the calibration of my original battery was reset as well. Once the margin of error in the battery stats comes below 10% on a regular basis I'll try the dock. I plan on testing using a 1 Amp charger with it. Using it as a case is nice. I have stuck it in my coat pocket several times and its really compact.

3. rexster314

rexster314 Member
    None

May 18, 2011
  4. TheJoshuaTree

TheJoshuaTree Newbie
    None

Jan 9, 2013
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
  6. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Chi-town

Yeah bought this one a couple months back. Prett decent charger which enables desk mode.

Only issue that I have is that I bought an Otterbox commuter case and it doesn't fit now. But oh well, I let one of my buddies use the dock at work with his Note II and he loves it.

7. Sashreek

Sashreek Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Student
    Hyderabad,AP,India
    I wanted to buy this one

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s3-extra-battery-kit-eb-h1g6llegstd-p35104.htm

My phone got messed up after the jellybean update,before the update it used to take 2-3 hrs to charge but now it is taking 10-15 hrs to charge,I looked it online as to what is causing the problem andvfound out it was due to the software.so i wanted to buy this one which says we can charge the spare battery separately but i am not sure whether it works when the phone is not connected to the dock.

8. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    This is only a battery charger & phone stand. There is no provision for the phone to be connected for charging or docking.

If you want a dock/charger combination, check out one of the KIDIGI docks listed in the previous posts.
    Both are capable of simultaneously charging the phone & spare battery & can charger either one separately. The phone does not have to be docked for charging a spare battery.

Sashreek likes this.
  9. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    I bought the OEM Samsung dock. I actually made a mistake and thought it had a port to charge the phone in addition to the battery. I was disappointed to find I bought the wronger charger. But I just put a thin case on the phone and am now thankful that I made that mistake. First, the phone with case fits in the dock. It kind of nice that the phone sits on the side. I just plug it in and put it into the dock. I have an NFC sticker that turns down the volume and launched the alarm clock. I keep a spare battery in the charger just in case. If I can't or don't connect the charger over night I still have access to a fully charged battery.

10. TadeoNYC

TadeoNYC Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    I'm happy with the separate charger for the battery. The portability of it is great. My Xterra has an always on charger port, so I can swap in a fresh battery and leave the spare to charge, rather than doing spot charges on the fly. I think the multimedia dock is a joke, since it only gives you an audio line out. If it actually had hdmi that would be something else, but I'm not sure how they can call it "multi"media.

It's nice to have the different options for particular needs.

I also don't want a dock because I have a commuter case and it won't fit any of them. Incidentally, when I tried placing my phone without a case in the holder on the charger it presses the volume down button. So you would need to put it in with the power button down and home on the left which is not suitable for me.

11. Sashreek

Sashreek Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Student
    Hyderabad,AP,India
    The kidigi S3 Dock seems to be the best bet, thanks a lot for the help guys.

KOLIO likes this.
  12. MasterCylinder

MasterCylinder Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 4, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I bought the Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Multimedia Dock For Galaxy S III EDD-D200BEGSTA as mentioned above, but my S3 has no "Desk Mode" as others have mentioned. In fact, my phone won't run the audio jack on the base without adding an app to do it. The first one I've tried is Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector which works and has a couple of simple features.

Samsung makes the Dock Home apps for many of their phones but not for the S3?

Also the base accommodates my White/ Gray OEM Puregear Samsung Galaxy S3 Utilitarian Hybrid case which is pretty cool with a belt clip and kickstand. I love this case! Unfortunately the pictures don't show the kickstand in action, which I use frequently every day.

What I really wanted was the ability to have data access to the phone while it's on the dock - does anybody know about one of these?

I did find this on Amazon for $90 Samsung Galaxy Smart Dock Multimedia Hub which has HDMI out and 3 USB. Quite a dock it seems, but pricey!