• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 owners, please help! Is this normal, or have I been hacked?

rv2012

Lurker
Nov 20, 2012
Alright, so I was browsing some potentially murky/unsafe websites on my Galaxy S3 when I had a horrible system crash, and ever since this crash I've noticed some strange things going on on my phone:

1. Everything is noticeably slower, and there are occasional 3-5 second freezes.

2. If I use OS Monitor to examine system activity, I always see a process listening on a bunch of ports like 55555 and 55556, but the name of this process is different every time I look.

3. If I go into Settings -> Application Manager -> All, click on the current name of the app listening on the ports above, and check its permissions, it always turns out that the app happens to have permission to do about 100 things, from "add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge" to "directly call phone numbers", you name it -- way more permissions than even a typical system-level process.

SO, Galaxy S3 owners, I'd be eternally grateful if someone could go into Settings -> Application Manager -> All on their phone & check permissions on a few apps (listed below). Do they have 100+ permissions to do everything under the sun on your phone too?

Lcdtest
DttSupport
TMServerApp

I know these are legitimate names of system processes that are supposed to be present, but I'm paranoid that on my phone they might've been replaced with hacked versions. If someone could reassure me that they really are supposed to have permission to do literally everything to my system, I'd be grateful!

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I feel better knowing that it's normal for these processes to have crazy permissions, but I did a factory reset anyway just to be extra safe.

Question, though: a factory reset doesn't re-install the core operating system, right? It just deletes user-downloaded apps + app data? I guess I'm just wondering whether it protects against the situation where the OS itself has been compromised. Is it even possible for there to be a "privilege-elevation"-type exploit where a process gets root access through some security vulnerability and then overwrites core system binaries with hacked versions? Or is it not possible for even a process that gets root access to do this?

To those who asked what site it was that caused my original crash: I don't have the exact URL, but it was some weird Russian image host that I got linked to from a forum.

Upvote 0
Alright, so I was browsing some potentially murky/unsafe websites on my Galaxy S3 when I had a horrible system crash, and ever since this crash I've noticed some strange things going on on my phone:

1. Everything is noticeably slower, and there are occasional 3-5 second freezes.

2. If I use OS Monitor to examine system activity, I always see a process listening on a bunch of ports like 55555 and 55556, but the name of this process is different every time I look.

3. If I go into Settings -> Application Manager -> All, click on the current name of the app listening on the ports above, and check its permissions, it always turns out that the app happens to have permission to do about 100 things, from "add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge" to "directly call phone numbers", you name it -- way more permissions than even a typical system-level process.

SO, Galaxy S3 owners, I'd be eternally grateful if someone could go into Settings -> Application Manager -> All on their phone & check permissions on a few apps (listed below). Do they have 100+ permissions to do everything under the sun on your phone too?

Lcdtest
DttSupport
TMServerApp

I know these are legitimate names of system processes that are supposed to be present, but I'm paranoid that on my phone they might've been replaced with hacked versions. If someone could reassure me that they really are supposed to have permission to do literally everything to my system, I'd be grateful!

LCDTEST 17 permissions
DTTSUPPORT 16 permissions
Do not have the third one.

Those core files should be safe. Shouldn't have to worry about them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones