• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 predictive text

Samsung keyboard is awful. I am using it temporarily because I took the phone back to stock to get ready for an exchange (usb port is bad). I am with rushmore, just install Swype beta.

I had never tried the Swype keyboard on the S3 or any phone till Saturday night and I loved it. All I did was "the quick brown fox jums over the lazy dog" I wasn't super fast but fast enough and it found everything. I might have had a little problem with the word quick it was great.

Upvote 0
The stock Samsung keyboard is the worst I have ever had on any of my Android devices. Abismal. But this thread seems like one big ad for Softkey. Reviews are a little too glowing for me. A little fishy.

Anyone else want to weigh in here? Any other good keyboards out there? What is your experience with other keyboards? Can't take the stock keyboard anymore. Ugh.

Upvote 0
The stock Samsung keyboard is the worst I have ever had on any of my Android devices. Abismal. But this thread seems like one big ad for Softkey. Reviews are a little too glowing for me. A little fishy.

Anyone else want to weigh in here? Any other good keyboards out there? What is your experience with other keyboards? Can't take the stock keyboard anymore. Ugh.

That's because SwiftKey is made of win with awesome sauce on top! Really. I first got it as the amazon free app otd. I loved it so much I went ahead and purchased it from the Market aka: play store, to show my support for the dev. It really is that good.

Upvote 0

Yes, you got us! Swiftkey has hired a group of shills to come on the board with the hopes of convincing one poor soul to buy their app........

Or, it just could be that the app really is that good! You decide (because they offer a FREE 30 DAY TRIAL with no strings attached.....seriously)

In all seriousness, it may be that the stock Sammy keyboard is so laugably bad that when one opens Swiftkey it is like a man crawling through the desert and finally dropping his face in the most beautiful clear lake where he can drink to his heart's content......but really Swiftkey is cool and it works well.

In fact, just today I loaded up my credit card onto the Google Play and paid 3 dollars and 99 cents of my hard earned money to convert my 30 day trial that ended last night into full deeded ownership of said app....MY FIRST PAID APP PURCHASE, EVER.

There may be others in the future but Swiftkey will always be my first. Okay this is getting weird.

Just try it for yourself!

Upvote 0
I used the GO Keyboard and that still had swype IIRC.

Just into trial of Swiftkey and got to say this will be the first app I've ever paid for.

Complete transformation of the texting experience.

Being a natural sceptic, and a bit old too, I was wary of the hype that seemed to be around Swiftkey. Just wish I'd tried it before.

As others have said 30 day free trial, so try it!

Upvote 0
Hi,
Can someone please tell me how to turn off predictive text on a Galaxy S3, running ICS?
Thanx in advance,
Manglier.
Simply open up the text app, as if you are gong to send someone a text, ensure the icon is in the text field so the keyboard opens up, then press and hold the little microphone symbol (it will open up a small pop up box just above it) slide your finger to the cog symbol that you should be able to see and press that, you will see a menu open up and the predictive text can be turned off there, also you can set your preferred language there too, like UK English as opposed to American English

Upvote 0
What carrier phone do you have? It's strange how some settings are missing or relocated.

I installed Swiftkey 3. Thankfully I snagged it when it was Amazon Free App of the Day last year but never needed it on my Incredible. The thing that still bugs me is that Swifkey changes a word to something totally different but when you backspace it doesn't change it back to what you were typing. I miss that from the HTC keyboard.
Simply open up the text app, as if you are gong to send someone a text, ensure the icon is in the text field so the keyboard opens up, then press and hold the little microphone symbol (it will open up a small pop up box just above it) slide your finger to the cog symbol that you should be able to see and press that, you will see a menu open up and the predictive text can be turned off there, also you can set your preferred language there too, like UK English as opposed to American English

Upvote 0
Two things...what is a cog symbol? And please tell me how to get rid of this idiotic predictable text..I don't mind auto correct but the predictable text on the Galaxy S3 is just plain annoying to me..thank you so much

Upvote 0
Hi,
Can someone please tell me how to turn off predictive text on a Galaxy S3, running ICS?
Thanx in advance,
Manglier.

Simply open up the text app, as if you are gong to send someone a text, ensure the icon is in the text field so the keyboard opens up, then press and hold the little microphone symbol (it will open up a small pop up box just above it) slide your finger to the cog symbol that you should be able to see and press that, you will see a menu open up and the predictive text can be turned off there, also you can set your preferred language there too, like UK English as opposed to American English:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
When I start to install SwiftKey 3 (which I learned about in this forum), I get a message that endabling the keyboard will cause collection "of all of the text you enter, except passwords, including personal data and credit card numbers." Seems like that could be a problem. Have others encountered and considered this message?

Also, my GS3 works fine in areas with strong cell and wifi, but terrible in areas with moderate to weak coverage. That is, if cell coverage is 4G with one bar, or 3G/no G, it often won't connect calls. Similarly, in areas where my other devices find adequate cell or wifi signal, my GS3 doesn't. It also performs very poorly (drops calls often) when 4G shifts to 3G. Is anyone else having these problems or did I just get a lemon?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones