• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 Version Confusion

Giolla

Lurker
Sep 28, 2014
Hi friends,

My first post!
I ordered a GT-i9300 off of amazon. First i got i9300i neo, sent it back without opening the box. 2nd time they sent me a refurbished i9300 that seemed legit, but power socket was damaged and it wouldn't charge. Finally, today i got a what looks like a i9300. The box was opened but the phone looked "like new." Inside the phone (underneath the battery) it says GT-i9300 and it was setup in Chinese when i powered it on. i noticed that it had 1.5G RAM so i was trying to figure out what it is i got. It would not let me update the software saying "the device has been modified. "Here are basic specs i got from Antutu Benchmark:
Test Score: 17406
Model: samsung Galaxy SIII (GT-i9300)
RAM: Total: 1587 MB / Available: 757 MB

CPU Model: Samsung Exynos 4412
Type: 32bit
Cores: 2
Frequency: 384.0 ~ 1512.0 MHz

Renderer: Adreno (TM) 225
Vender: Qualcomm
GPU Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 2184622

Android Version: 4.1.1
Android SDK Version: 16 (Android 4.1.x)
Kernel: Linux Version 3.0.31-538866(se.
infra@SEP-106)(gcc version
4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease)
(GCC))#1SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 20
22:42:27 KST 2012

I was hoping to root and flash ROM on international i9300. i'm not sure exactly what model this phone is and if it's worth keeping or should i also send it back?
Thank you

Hello and welcome Giolla:)
I did a bit of digging.
Found this:
[Q] my GT-i9300 have 2gb ram | Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305 | XDA Forums

and read thru about post 12.
It appears you can enter your IMEI number into this webpage, and it will tell you what device you have:
SNDeepInfo - All information on the phone's IMEI or serial number

or boot into download mode and it will also tell you the name/model device.

Edit: I'm no expert, but the Samsung Exynos 4412 dual core (what you posted) is what is skeptical. I thought the Exynos 4412 was a quad core in the International variant of the GT-I9300

Reactions: Giolla
Upvote 0
I did a bit of digging.
Found this:

It appears you can enter your IMEI number into this webpage, and it will tell you what device you have:

Edit: I'm no expert, but the Samsung Exynos 4412 dual core (what you posted) is what is skeptical. I thought the Exynos 4412 was a quad core in the International variant of the GT-I9300

Thanks for responding :) Funny i searched XDA site but maybe i don't know how to search. So, i did the factory reset on it and on reboot it showed up as SGH-i747. However it doesn't seem to have LTE. i tried to reboot in download mode and it froze. it's actually nice with minimal bloatware, but i already reordered another one from amazon. it should come in tomorrow but now that i've had this i'm really considering getting the i9305 instead. (Good idea?) Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hi Giolla!

Here are the spec's for the International, quad core, GT-19300...

Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - Full phone specifications

and these are for the AT&T variant, SGH-i747, dual core variant...

Samsung Galaxy S III I747 - Full phone specifications

The AT&T variant, as can be seen from the spec's, is a dual core 1.5 GHz model with 2GB of RAM and LTE and would come with all the usual AT&T bloatware and add-ons.

There are a number of methods of verifying the authenticity of the handset, as follows...

On an International model you can type in *#1234# into the dial pad and this will give you the, "Version", details. Usually 3 lines of information for PDA/AP, CSC and modem. This feature has been disabled on some variants and so you can install Genuine Galaxy - Phone Info and/or Phone INFO, both free from the Play Store. These apps will give a readout on the model you have.

Another useful app I would suggest downloading, free from the Play Store, is Android System Info and checking your phone in the System tab > BuildInfos.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I did a bit of digging.
Found this:

Hi again,

Just to update, i finally got my i9300 after 5 tries! if anyone comes across this post. Amazon does sell i9300/i9305 themselves for around 325 +tax. just make sure the seller is Amazon otherwise you'll be in for a scam.

i'm going to root this phone and wanted to flash it as well. i know there are countless forums and versions of doing this, could you guys reccomend a mod for a novice? I'm new to android world and not sure what to look for

(N96>Blackberry Curve> iphone 4> GT-i9192 > i9300 finally :)

Thanks for all your help guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones