• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 Watering Hole

Well, if it isn't our newest Goldmember !! How about a smoke & a pancake ?

If you don't get this joke you cleary are not an Austin Powers fan & you should be ashamed.

Make sure you head over to the VIP area & introduce yourself. Tell them I sent you & dread will pour you a free beer.

Lloollz!

No reason to be ashamed here don't you worry!

And yes I'll find my way over there soon, I could use another beer about now, nice n cold n all like.

Upvote 0
Lloollz!

No reason to be ashamed here don't you worry!

And yes I'll find my way over there soon, I could use another beer about now, nice n cold n all like.

Wait a bit to head over. Dread is having some issues w/ the beer keg. Something about a wife or girlfriend...I can't remember. It will make more sense when you get over there.

Upvote 0
Kymberlin, glad your back safe & sound my dear. It was pretty quiet around here w/o ya yesterday ( & not as exciting, but tell anybody else...shhh )

Since you live in Houston, are you a Texans fan or Cowboys fan ? Be careful how you answer this as our friendship "could" depend on it. :p

Ok.... Truth be told, I hate sporting events. I know, I know I have 4 males whom call me Mom. I HATE sports!!! Now that I have that out of the way, I do have my drothers. I am from So Cal. Left 6 years ago at the top of the housing market, and because I am a hard-working and greedy we came to the armpit of the US (sorry for any Texans, but being from SoCal that's how it feels esp. today), but tha's a whole other story...
So, back to the original question.

#1 My first set of In-Laws (From Alabama) are die hard, don't care how bad it looks, Dallas Cowboy fans. Being 2 of my spawn come from that gene pool (love ya Ma), it is hard not to be a Cowboys fan.

#2 Since I am from So Cal (with no football team) ~ I like players. Not the team so to speak. Let me explain..... my DH, Bro in law, Pa in Law, my Pops, etc.... yup, you guessed it are Trojans. So, If a player happens to go to a professional team I like that player to win. ( Except of course if they are playing the Cowboys in which the previous rule sometimes applies).

#3 I only like sports for making the food. I love hearing the boys (ages 20, 19, 12, 8 and hubby) debate why this stat is better or that player is better. The arguments that insue over football warm my heart, since in a males life this debating begins the character of a strong man (IMO) .So, while this is happening, a hot cheesy, steaming plate of something with no nutritional value is put before them and I am completely ignored while they continue the battle of the teams, and I pick it up to a half hearted "Ma, That was great " I am happy.

#4 I enjoy being a Mom, I love being a wife, I absolutely love, that anyone, on a Monday football night can count on Mrs. Lin making the best meal in town warms my heart. For that I get a ton of pleasure (and an occasional girls night out).

So, in conclusion. I have shopped all afternoon with the whole Monday night football night in mind every weekend of the football season, and will be happy to let you in on our cuisine any Monday y'all choose.

Oh..... And BTW I hate Football..... Talk to me when BB starts, That's a whole other story !!!!

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
I do, going to play for a couple of weeks then probably root it and go mad from there as i would like google wallet but can't seem to get it at the moment without root :)

As resident..... uh, I can't remember what my title is right now , I welcome you to the S3 Watering hole. :hmpf:

Enjoy your weekend !
:beer:

Upvote 0
Wait a bit to head over. Dread is having some issues w/ the beer keg. Something about a wife or girlfriend...I can't remember. It will make more sense when you get over there.

I was just over there, maybe a little too early, something about dread, his keg, your wife & girlfriend...

I won't judge you. :p

Lolz

Upvote 0
As resident..... uh, I can't remember what my title is right now , I welcome you to the S3 Watering hole. :hmpf:

Enjoy your weekend !
:beer:

Residential S3 ma! And cook, entertainer, & rooting wuss :p lol

But no really, rooting is like riding a bike or driving a car, scary at first, then you wonder why you were scared at all.

Upvote 0
It's great isn't it!
Saw they released it for the TF300 but not for my Prime yet. :(
However, I'm charging the battery now since it's dead and once it's on I'm mashing that update button to no end. :pcguru:

Just finished flashing so jury is still out. However... my GS3 now reminds me of my Gnex!!!

Screenshot_2012-08-18-12-01-10.png

Upvote 0
Wait,

No really wait...

What?

Are you implying that 'I' know what I'm talking?

I'm just as clueless as you are mate! All I know is that what ever it was, you told me to do it :D

Was trying to keep the girlfriend talk down to a minimum. Wife just got back in town last night so don't blow my cover amigo. :D

In case for some crazy reason folks think I'm being serious about having a girlfriend, all I can say is really ? When have I ever been serious ? Oh yeah...the "cry baby" post.

Moving on.....

Upvote 0
Residential S3 ma! And cook, entertainer, & rooting wuss :p lol

Ok OK.... This week for sure. I this it would be easier if I knew, I knew enough. I get the terms, but I don't exactly know how deep each term goes.? I'm sure that probably sound horrible!

For instance, Rooting (in my mind) means allowing a person to gain super user control. right? But then people flash Roms.... (in my mind) extra software that doesn't come on the phone ? Right ? And then there are Kernels.... Which is a particular software that allow extra stuff ( that I don't know). But then when I'm looking around there are all kinds of other terms that I don't know... Cyn something.... Boatloader something.... ?

Where in the heck is my vodka????

I have lurked around and watched people (very gracefully) get chastised for not knowing what they are doing.... And I don't take "whoopens" well~ no matter how gentle they may be....

I just don't want to be the dumb girl that bricked her phone because I was to hasty.

Awe man.... Reading this post, I now really feel like the dumb girl!

Upvote 0
Was trying to keep the girlfriend talk down to a minimum. Wife just got back in town last night so don't blow my cover amigo. :D

In case for some crazy reason folks think I'm being serious about having a girlfriend, all I can say is really ? When have I ever been serious ? Oh yeah...the "cry baby" post.

Moving on.....

I'm pretty sure most folks around here know your.... {clearing the throat}.... um
The resident comedian.... lol

Upvote 0
Ok OK.... This week for sure. I this it would be easier if I knew, I knew enough. I get the terms, but I don't exactly know how deep each term goes.? I'm sure that probably sound horrible!

For instance, Rooting (in my mind) means allowing a person to gain super user control. right? But then people flash Roms.... (in my mind) extra software that doesn't come on the phone ? Right ? And then there are Kernels.... Which is a particular software that allow extra stuff ( that I don't know). But then when I'm looking around there are all kinds of other terms that I don't know... Cyn something.... Boatloader something.... ?

Where in the heck is my vodka????

I have lurked around and watched people (very gracefully) get chastised for not knowing what they are doing.... And I don't take "whoopens" well~ no matter how gentle they may be....

I just don't want to be the dumb girl that bricked her phone because I was to hasty.

Awe man.... Reading this post, I now really feel like the dumb girl!

Oh k'lin k'lin k'lin, see this is why your here, ask and you shall receive.

Now bear in mind that my S3 doesn't have a locked bootloader (int version) but I might be able to help clear up a couple of other things.

The kernel is the main "guts of the brain" of any droid version, it sets limits and stuff and holds vital data for the rest of the droid body to know what's going on.
(a bit like BIOS in any regular pc)

Rooting will give you SU access to all files on the phone, be them hidden, system, etc or regular. And then you can move, copy, delete, change permissions etc for any file.

Being that you have SU you can also do more stuff like;

Flash a new more efficient kernel to improve hardware drivers/hardware speeds etc

Flash a new ROM like CynogenMod that you've seen about. This would be the rest of the droid body, and like a droid over a human, it will have various enhancements and mods.

CynogenMod is basically a version of Android like ics or jb but devs have added new & updated features. For instance on your pull down menu (notifications) you might have airplane mode, but on CynogenMod you can change ALL them buttons to be what ever buttons that version of CynogenMod support. So you could change the number of buttons you have there too.

I must admit, I don't know much about bootloader but I'm sure Trent can step in

Reactions: kymberlin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones