1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy S3 with standard Android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CSMR, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CSMR

CSMR Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    Hello. I'm looking to get a Galaxy S3 phone, but am not interested in preinstalled software or Samsung's alterations to the OS. I heard you cannot uninstall Touchwiz or many of the preinstalled applications.

Can any here tell me their experiences with installing standard Android (AOSP?) on the Galaxy S3?

My main concern is reliability of software, but am also concerned with cleanness (no unwanted software installed or running), standardization (expect to prefer standard android to a version altered by a vendor), simple clean interfaces and smooth performance.

That's why I think installing a standard version of Android would be a good idea, but if you think this may introduce bugs or hurt reliability then I will hold off.

Also would this affect automatic updates to the OS? I don't know how this works on Android.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    The most basic and famous aosp custom rom is probably Cyanogen Mod. a really big name dev team and theyre very supportive of the s3. S3 is very easy and safe to root and flash. Youll find a guide in the All Things Root forum for your carrier version.
    While running a custom rom, you wont get any official samsung updates but there will be regular rom updates for you to flash if you want. Youll be a few steps ahead of the official updates anyway.
    battery, in my experience Touchwiz has a slightly better battery life than aosp.
    Theres a lot of touchwiz based roms with the bloatware taken out :thumbup:
    For clean crispy smoothness youll want to use aosp though

CSMR likes this.
  3. CSMR

CSMR Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks very much! I'm starting to check out the Cyanogen Mod offerings.