1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Galaxy S4 blurry from more than 12 inches

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PhoebeDog, May 26, 2014.

1. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am hoping someone can help me. I bought my husband the Galaxy S4 last week. The "Selfie" mode camera is crystal clear. The camera itself is clear up to a distance of 3-6 inches, but any further than that it is a blurry mess. I have tried settings, tried outdoors, indoors, flash on/off, auto focus on/off, and every other thing I can think of.

If someone could suggest what we're doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

2. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    There's been a number of similar threads on here so you may want to look through those, but there not too much can be done about it unfortunately.

Only tip i can give you is to hold your camera steady for a few seconds after you here the shutter.

Bottom line pretty much is the s4 camera is hopeless. Far inferior compared to the s3.

3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Can you post some examples?

I have taken a lot of pictures with my S4 and almost all of them were from much more than 30cm and, in good light at least, were not blurry at all.

I suspect there is a hardware issue with your phone but let's have a look at some examples and take it from there.

4. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks, I will check out the threads, I did a quick look and didn't see anything.

The holding it still doesn't work. You can have it lying down flat on the table and it's still blurry. It NEVER focuses at a distance of more than 6 inches or so. Ever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will delve more deeply into the forums.

5. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am off to a family gathering but will post photos later this evening. As I said, from 3-6 inches it is crystal clear, but any further and it's a blurry mess. Thanks for replying, I will post photos later.

6. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, California
    Make sure you've removed the protective film that is over the lens when the phone is shipped.

electricpete likes this.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    If it really is true that it won't focus at any distance > 6", it's broken.

8. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
    That could be a bad camera in the phone. I know that with my S4, when it doesn't focus, it's usually because it's focusing on an object at a distance that isn't the intended object of the photo, so I generally tend to tap the screen on the object that I'm trying to photo and it focuses on that area instead.

9. sreum

sreum Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    michigan
    I have found that Dane thing in my phone. As silly as it sounds I aim at what I want to take a picture of then tap the screen. Then my phone auto focuses to the further objects. Then if I move the phone and want something more near I have to tap the screen again. And the camera will readjust to the more near object.