• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Omg it is true for att and tmobile with LTE.

No this stinks I want this on Verizon.
That's NEVER going to happen. Not after Verizon alienated the users of the Galaxy Nexus device on Verizon. Verizon has been historically shown to be very developer unfriendly.

Verizon, it's their network and they have been rather... shall we say, douchebag-gy as of late to developers and Google.

Upvote 0
That's NEVER going to happen. Not after Verizon alienated the users of the Galaxy Nexus device on Verizon. Verizon has been historically shown to be very developer unfriendly.

Verizon, it's their network and they have been rather... shall we say, douchebag-gy as of late to developers and Google.

I wanted say never, highly unlikely yes.

I say with VoLtE and no CDMA then yes.

Verizon does have developer edition of the gs3 on samsungs site.

I just don't see google dealing with the troubles until no more CDMA.

Still awesome news though.

Stock android with removable battery and sd card slot.

I'm paying 650 for mine from Verizon so I would be down

Upvote 0

how did verizon alienate the galaxy nexus users? i have a galaxy nexus and doesn't seem vzw has limited the update-ability or functionality of my phone. :thinking:

Upvote 0
how did verizon alienate the galaxy nexus users? i have a galaxy nexus and doesn't seem vzw has limited the update-ability or functionality of my phone. :thinking:

When Google releases a Software update, the GSM versions get it immediately. The Verizon and Sprint versions do not. The Verizon version never received versions 4.1.2, 4.2, or 4.2.1. The Sprint version still is on 4.2.1 and hasn't received 4.2.2. Plus there's the whole Google Wallet fiasco.

Unless Verizon loosens their iron grip on the devices on their network and let's Google have control over the device, I don't see that happening.

Like I said before in a prior post, Verizon is acting particularly douchebaggy as of late. They are acting like the Emperor and Darth Vader with their Force Grip.

They'll have to once VoLTE goes into effect due to the Block C provisions in place on the 700MHz spectrum they purchased to run their LTE network. Provisions state they have to allow any device compatible with the frequency onto their network (Assuming they pay their bill). The reason this hasn't happened yet is because phones still need the CDMA network for voice and text, and thus can be restricted.

Still ain't no 32gb model. Just sayin'.
True, but the stock android will yield a little more storage space with all the carrier and touchwiz bloat removed. 16GB Nexus 4 comes with about 13GB of open space instead of 9GB on the Touchwiz GS4

Reactions: Wolfedude88
Upvote 0
When Google releases a Software update, the GSM versions get it immediately. The Verizon and Sprint versions do not. The Verizon version never received versions 4.1.2, 4.2, or 4.2.1. The Sprint version still is on 4.2.1 and hasn't received 4.2.2. Plus there's the whole Google Wallet fiasco.

They'll have to once VoLTE goes into effect due to the Block C provisions in place on the 700MHz spectrum they purchased to run their LTE network. Provisions state they have to allow any device compatible with the frequency onto their network (Assuming they pay their bill). The reason this hasn't happened yet is because phones still need the CDMA network for voice and text, and thus can be restricted.

True, but the stock android will yield a little more storage space with all the carrier and touchwiz bloat removed. 16GB Nexus 4 comes with about 13GB of open space instead of 9GB on the Touchwiz GS4

I just hope this can help with building AOSP with the Verizon verision. I know the radio won't work with a port so hopefully they can use pieces of this to build a stable Verizon ROM

Upvote 0
I was mainly having fun, since would not expect that version to have more flash. My guess is about 1GB more will be available, since will not have Wiz and carrier bloat, but will still have all the sensor related and other bling-like software, since part of the device design. Total free will probably be a tad over 10GB.

1gb more is better than 1gb less (some have only 8gb). That in itself is a 2gb swing.

Upvote 0
So how long before they have a stock rom that will turn an ATT version into this vanilla version with updates? Thats what Im wanting! If I'm going to be paying for ATTs network I should get the ATT priced hardware out of it.

I think that the answer to your question is - how soon will you have an unlocked bootloader on ATT?

Upvote 0
I was mainly having fun, since would not expect that version to have more flash. My guess is about 1GB more will be available, since will not have Wiz and carrier bloat, but will still have all the sensor related and other bling-like software, since part of the device design. Total free will probably be a tad over 10GB.

1gb more is better than 1gb less (some have only 8gb). That in itself is a 2gb swing.

I guess it comes to do how Stock Android it's going to be. If it's completely stock, meaning that it leaves out all the sensor stuff, it will probably be the same as what the Nexus 4 has. We already can tell by looking at the picture they gave that it won't be 100% stock because they're going to use the hardware/capacitive buttons instead of the software buttons.

I think that the answer to your question is - how soon will you have an unlocked bootloader on ATT?
Verizon version releases next week, so I imagine Dan is going to release the exploit on that day or shortly after.

As with all Android, the choice is your's, fair play to Samsung for offering the option imo. :)
I love this play by Samsung and wish that other OEM's would do the same as well.

To me, I see the biggest advantage of this being you get the advantage of a massively marketed phone in regard to accessory availability, but still get a Google experience out of the box.
That's a very good point, because we all know Nexus line accessories are always limited or late when coming from Google.

Upvote 0

vzw deserves kudos for not releasing 4.2.1. either way, hardcore android users get their updates before any of the carriers do anyway. :p

Upvote 0
Wow. This is making me look at coverage maps, it really is.

On the one hand, I'm updatable on VZW as of ... yesterday. OTOH, I'm really, really, really annoyed at VZW and am tempted to wait out the extra six months to kill my contract.

(Why am I annoyed? Losing unlimited data (unless I pay full price for the phone) and actually having to pay more on Share Everything for less; customer service lies; every call drops once anyway; did I mention customer service lies; shutting off my data and falsely claiming I requested it; bizarre text messages every time you get an email when the phone is out of the country; only supporting the phones it likes; untruthful customer service....)

So, yeah, seeing as I was thinking of paying full price for the phone anyway, the idea of paying full price for stock android genuinely makes me drool.

Upvote 0
vzw deserves kudos for not releasing 4.2.1. either way, hardcore android users get their updates before any of the carriers do anyway. :p

It was buggy, no doubt. But in a sick kind of way, you look forward to this when you have a Nexus device. But it makes me feel bad that sprint Gnex users are STILL stuck on it officially. Right you are about the real users getting the updates first anyhow. :D

Upvote 0
Wander if there will be porting of this onto our device's in the rooting section. But also if it would require it's own page on here as stock or wether it's another device for this page?

We're still deciding that.

Just one question remains - will the HDMI adapter work :)

I flashed countless ASOP roms but as the HDMI is Samsung proprietary it won't work with ASOP - so if I'd lose that too - although I'd love ASOP, I'd pass.

AOSP (Android Open Source Project) roms have to be ported to specific hardware by devs and often without knowledge of inner details of the device.

Pretty sure that Samsung withheld nothing from Google at the hardware level, so I'd expect the MHL port to work.

BTW - you can buy an 11-pin to 5-pin adapter for the SGS3 and then use any standard MHL adapter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones