• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S4 or HTC One

Well I'm coming to the end of my contract for my HTC Desire HD and now I've got a problem. Which phone, the HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4. The one looks amazing and all, but is it worth waiting to see what Samsung have got to throw at us.

From what we've all heard, will the phones be similar or ONE (pun intended) be better than the other? Any ideas how long we'll be waiting?
Also I'm not getting any iPhone, really not a fan of them.

There's nothing definite known about the S4 release date yet. Some rumours put the announcement about a month away, but only rumours, and even less is known about availability. But it might be that more will be known by the time the HTC One is available.

At this time it's really hard to say what to expect. The S4 might have some surprise that knocks everyone's socks off, or it might just be a simple spec bump of the S3 (of course the S3 is a damned good phone in its own right). It also really depends on what your preferences and requirements are. The S4 will probably be a bit larger (all the rumours are 5" screen), same resolution, AMOLED rather than LCD. Unless they really change their approach (and given how well it's working for them so far, is that likely?) I expect it to be plastic rather than HTC's metal, and have removable battery and sd card rather than the integrated battery and fixed storage of the HTC. But I could be wrong about any or all of this. Are any of these things big factors for you?

Upvote 0
Samsung's biggest fail is in their build quality. Too much cheap plastic everywhere. HTC devices have a premium feel, regardless of which one you own. My MT4G still feels better in the hand than my GS3. Samsung is just better at marketing. It was huge to have the GS2/GS3 on all carriers. HTC plans to do the same thing. If someone offered a trade straight up, I'd get rid of the GS3 in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
The phones with fixed batteries can be hard powered-off by pressing and holding the power button, same as a computer. I've not heard of that failing to work.

Correct :)

Samsung's biggest fail is in their build quality.

Couldnt agree more. Samsung has great advertising/marketing (similar to apple), but fails at build quality.

You're buying a $600 piece of tech, it shouldnt be cheap plastic. Aluminum wins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones