1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy s4 prototype

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BIGLEX911, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BIGLEX911

BIGLEX911 Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2013
    So i stumbled across a S4 prototype on ebay that is said to have a clean ESN and is in mint condition the only problem is that it is locked to US Cellular. I would like to root it and unlock it but the threads i found were old and i found some bricking issues. I just want to know is the phone worth getting for 240$, i also read the glass isn't Guerrilla, are there any recent threads on how to root it, and are there any downsides to getting the prototype? (listed as a developer S4)

Should i just get a Nexus 4 instead of this prototype?

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums BIGLEX911! :)

Having read your post I am very suspicious of the description and provenance of that phone as the web is flooded with fakes. See...

Fake, clone, not genuine, Galaxy S4 phones

BIGLEX911 likes this.
  3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    If my choices were a Nexus 4, or a prototype-locked-to-the-wrong-carrier S4, I believe I'd go for the Nexus. In my mind, there are just too many questions about why there is a prototype S4 for sale on EBay (how did it get into the wild?). And if it's a prototype, it's probably a safe assumption that there are at least SOME features that don't work.
    Personally, I think there's a big 'keep away' sign hanging around that S4. :)

BIGLEX911 likes this.
  4. BIGLEX911

BIGLEX911 Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2013
    He has 900+ good ratings and 1 neutral (no bad reviews), but it still seems weird seeing others go for more in non-mint state, he declines to accept returns and i don't want a huge claim if I do indeed get a fake and dispute with him. And since it is listed as a developer and not a prototype, all he has for system info is the "About Device" section, I will just go with the Nexus, still a beast phone and maybe i can even find the nexus 5 instead.

5. BIGLEX911

BIGLEX911 Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2013
    That's what i was thinking, all the rooting threads i found were troubled by bricks and security locks. I think it is safe just to stick with the nexus which is a beautiful beast. Just wish the 5 had that awesome glass reflection of the back like the 4.