1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Galaxy S4 shutting down randomly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dan33185, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dan33185

Dan33185 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    I'm having some trouble with my rooted Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919). It'll just shut down out of nowhere, doesn't matter if it's sitting on a table or in use. I wasn't sure what was causing it, but I figured out it has something to do with the SD Card (I think). The phone would shut down literally every 2 minutes for the past few days. So, I took out the SD Card to take stuff off of there, and thought maybe I'll just run the phone without it for a while. Well, it stayed on for about 18 hours with no problem. I popped the SD card back in, and within 2 minutes it shut down on it's own. So, it's a problem with the SD Card obviously, but the question is what? The actual card, or the SD Card reader on the phone? Is there any way to figure that out short of buying a new SD card, or bringing it into have someone look at the hardware?

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    As you've already copied the contents off the card the first thing to try is just reformat it and see if that helps. If not and you really think it's the card slot that's the problem you could take your phone to a service shop, and hopefully they'll just check it out by putting a microSD card in to check (... and hopefully if it is OK they won't charge you for this since it's not really an actual billable repair).

But taking into consideration the cost of a new microSD card I'd just buy a new one. How old a card is it? If you've had it a while it's not unlikely it's just failed, especially if you've used it repeatedly to transfer files and mounted/unmounted in different devices/computers.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. Dan33185

Dan33185 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    Well, now I'm not sure what to think. I tried it again without the SD Card and it shut down within a couple minutes. I've noticed though, as long as I have it plugged in, with or without the SD Card, it stays on with no problems. So, I'm thinking maybe a battery issue? I guess I never thought about it as I just ordered a new one 2 months ago, but maybe I got a dud? I ordered a new one, so I guess we'll see. Other than that, maybe the power supply is bad? At that point though, maybe it would just be cheaper to get a new phone.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The battery would be something that more likely the problem from what you've described. Have you encountered any out of the ordinary issues while charging it? As far as suspecting the power supply, since your phone is working OK while plugged in that doesn't indicate the power supply is failing.

5. Dan33185

Dan33185 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    It charges normally, stays on, I can use it normally. Well, if it is just a battery, I would be thrilled, it would be a nice easy fix. It should be here by Tuesday, I'll post back with the results. Thanks for the help!

6. Cyberdev

Cyberdev Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Sep 12, 2014
    Male
    Daily YouTuber
    Tampa, FL
    What android OS are you running?

7. Dan33185

Dan33185 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    4.4.4, Stock Rom

8. wenso martin

wenso martin Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Its may be a battery problem, better to change it..

9. Cyberdev

Cyberdev Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Sep 12, 2014
    Male
    Daily YouTuber
    Tampa, FL
    You can try installing a gamerrom os

10. Dan33185

Dan33185 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    So the battery was definitely warped, got that replaced. I also brought it into have it looked at because it was still shutting down, got the charging port replaced and that seems to have solved it. The only problem is now my SIM card isn't being detected half the time, and when it is I am getting no service, which is a new problem. So now I have a phone that stays on but is useless. Not really looking forward to taking it back in to get that looked at as I've already spent 50 bucks on a 4 year old phone and am not looking to spend anymore. Might just trash it and get a new one at this point unfortunately.