1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S4 w/Gingerbread UVKJ6?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven Rice, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Steven Rice

Steven Rice Newbie

I have a Galaxy S4 phone that has Gingerbread UVKJ6, and still has the Android Market on it. How do I update it to Marshmallow or higher?

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Galaxy S4 in White
    Mass 130 g (4.6 oz)
    Operating system Original: Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean" Current: Android 5.0.1 "Lollipop" Unofficial: Android 9.0 via LineageOS 16
    System on chip Exynos 5 Octa 5410 (3G & South Korea LTE Versions) Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (LTE & China Mobile TD-SCDMA versions)

James L and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Steven Rice

Steven Rice Newbie

I was not looking for all that. Can you please try to tell me how to update my Galaxy S4?

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. James L

James L Android Expert

Can you post the model number, other then S4.
    The OS version is too low to be a S4 and upgrading the device depends on the correct firmware.

Hadron, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. Steven Rice

Steven Rice Newbie

Well said. The model number is SGH-T959V. I would understand if it can't run Oreo. But, I still would like to try to install Lollipop or Marshmallow.

Where do I get the install files to put in the SD card or a USB drive?

ocnbrze and James L like this.
  6. James L

James L Android Expert

First you would need to root the device. Cydia impactor should work then install supersu after checking for root.

Then install a custom recovery such as TWRP and a custom rom built for that device. A quick explanation.

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

James L and Dannydet like this.
  8. James L

James L Android Expert

I want to say it will root the HTC evo, that was one of my favorite phones. I used to flash them to make them work on Boost mobile. Cydia impactor used to be able to root just about anything.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  9. Steven Rice

Steven Rice Newbie

I never heard of Cydia either. I tried to YouTube it, to do what you're saying. But, I couldn't find it. If it's not too much trouble, can you please try to tell how to do it?

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. James L

James L Android Expert

Make sure the usb drivers are installed, the device is detected under device manager.
    Then press start then open shell after it finishes. If it shows a # go ahead and install Super SU.

From there use Odin to flash a custom recovery.

http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/

11. James L

James L Android Expert

Total time under a minute with installing SuperSU or Superuser etc.and running impactor.

12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

did you see the guide i posted earlier. it is pretty detailed. take a look at it and ask questions here.

Dannydet and James L like this.

Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE Advanced Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE Advanced release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews