• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S4 won't add the apostrophe - SOLVED

Hello,

I just purchased the Galaxy S4. I've noticed that I have to actually type the apostrophe, or choose the correct spelling from the suggested options. With the S2 I just upgraded from, the apostrophe was always automatically inserted into the word. I've done a little reading, but haven't found a helpful solution. I've seen the Swiftkey 3 app (I think that's what it's called) suggested, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I suspect your S2's default keyboard was Swype Beta, bundled with the stock phone. Swiftkey is another, alternate keyboard you need to purchase.
All these keyboards learn your typing style, especially SwiftKey is very quick and accurate at that. So after typing the words few times, if should give you an automatic and correct suggestions/predictions, based on your typing style.

Upvote 0
I suspect your S2's default keyboard was Swype Beta, bundled with the stock phone. Swiftkey is another, alternate keyboard you need to purchase.
All these keyboards learn your typing style, especially SwiftKey is very quick and accurate at that. So after typing the words few times, if should give you an automatic and correct suggestions/predictions, based on your typing style.

I tried the free version of SwiftKey. Do you happen to know the differences between the free and paid versions? The free version didn't seem to do much better than the default keyboard, but I didn't try it for very long. This seems like an easily solvable issue, considering all of the useless bloatware loaded on these devices.

Upvote 0
SwiftKey (which I highly recommend) can be configured either to auto-correct or not. You must have had it set not to.

If you go to Settings -> Advanced -> Spacebar completion mode and choose "always insert a prediction" it should do what you want i.e. If you type "isnt" and then press the space bar, you will get "isn't". Don't expect it to do what 95% of English speakers are sadly not able to do and understand how apostrophes are correctly used. It's unambiguous in the case of "isnt" but not in the case of "its" so SwiftKey cannot guarantee that it will pick the correct choice in this case and others like it.

Personally, I detest auto-correct but de gustibus non est disputandum.

Reactions: shmn
Upvote 0
SwiftKey (which I highly recommend) can be configured either to auto-correct or not. You must have had it set not to.

If you go to Settings -> Advanced -> Spacebar completion mode and choose "always insert a prediction" it should do what you want i.e. If you type "isnt" and then press the space bar, you will get "isn't". Don't expect it to do what 95% of English speakers are sadly not able to do and understand how apostrophes are correctly used. It's unambiguous in the case of "isnt" but not in the case of "its" so SwiftKey cannot guarantee that it will pick the correct choice in this case and others like it.

Personally, I detest auto-correct but de gustibus non est disputandum.

That's the ticket. :thumbup:

The "always insert a prediction" was not correctly selected. It does appear to be working correctly.

Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones