1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S5 installing custom ROIM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vuk, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Vuk

Vuk Lurker

So I want to install CyanogenMod on my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F and I have some questions.
    Would I need to root my phone to do this?
    Can I get back to stock TouchWiz software in future?
    Would this void my warranty?
    Because this is my first time doing this do you have some other tips for me?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Vuk :)

Backup everything on your phone prior to rooting or flashing the CM13 Marshmallow ROM, which requires a Factory Data Reset before installing. See, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

To root your phone you will need to flash a rooted CF-Auto-Root kernel for your model of phone, via Odin. See, [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

You will also need to flash a custom recovery, such as TWRP, for your phone. See, TWRP for Samsung Galaxy S5 Qualcomm

Make a note of your firmware and Product code in case you need to revert to stock. See, #1.8 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Make a nandroid backup to your external SD card using TWRP.

Yes, by downloading and flashing your stock Samsung firmware, mentioned above or by restoring your nandroid backup.

Yes, as it will trip the Knox Security flag. Not even by reverting to stock firmware can you un-trip it.

The best place to post for rooting questions is on the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum.

For links and details of the Marshmallow, CM13, CyanogenMod ROM, see, Samsung Galaxy S5 gets Marshmallow

These ROMs are released nightly and are beta test ROMs and require some amount of experience and a lot of reading of the various threads before flashing.

Read, read, read, everything before asking questions, rooting or attempting to flash CM13 and/or gapps.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

#2 ironass, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews