• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 is NOT waterproof!!

kepe

Lurker
Sep 1, 2014
I dropped it in a canal (less than a metre deep) for less than a minute.

It started saying over-heating and then turned itself off. After I took the back cover off there was no water inside the seals but when I opened up the usb cover there was loads of water in there...

The extremely unhelpful people at Samsung have told me that they don't cover damage, only manufacturer faults which is what this is in my mind!

Anyway, I'm taking it up with trading standards because I don't think Samsung should be allowed to advertise as waterproof (3m for 30mins) if they are then unwilling to repair when a phone falls miraculously short of that standard!

Upvote 0
Funny story a friend that has a huge property with a pond her husband was working down by the pond with the tracker and it tipped and he and the tractor landed in the pond and cell phone was in his pocket. They put it in rice for only a day and no luck but were due for upgrades anyway as the phones were old. Left it in the rice a few more days and it worked after that so they kept it for back up.

Water resistant is not the same as waterproof. I mean if a little water splashed on it from a squirt gun ok but submerging it all the way in the water probably no good. Post back if they rule in your favor and you get a new phone, would be curious to know. Mary

Upvote 0
As I said in my original post, Samsung's waterproof/water resistance guidelines is 30 minutes at 3 meters deep.

My phone was fully submerged (yes, the covers were all on properly) for less than a minute at less than a meter deep.

This is just meant to be a tip to not buy a Samsung Galaxy if what you were going for was waterproofness because it is not necessarily waterproof (I'm sure some are perfectly fine) and Samsung do not accept manufacturer default if the one you get is not!!

Upvote 0
I would agree with kepe - the ads for the phone show folks dunking water on it and washing the phone in running water. If I had purchased this, I'd certainly expect it to be able to withstand a dunk in shallow water, and if it didn't, I'd expect Samsung to repair/replace it.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly was Samsung's response to your query? Why are they not going to cover it? Contact them on their social media account(s), and depending on your location, try to involve your state's/country's consumer protection teams.

For future, if something like this happens, remove the battery and put the phone in a jar full of uncooked rice for a day or two.

Upvote 0
kepe, I have to agree with you. I am beyond upset because this is definitely false advertising! I did go in the pool for less than 3 minutes, snapped two pics and that was it. Now, my phone will turn on, but will not charge because it says battery too low, but then it shuts down and says battery is too hot. I have to say that I work at a law firm, and they been had a phone rep come out to my office and one of the main selling points to the attorney was that it was waterproof!! When I called my carrier, which is Verizon, they said that they do not carry the waterproof version of the S5, only AT&T does. I could not find any site stating there are different versions of the s5 where one is waterproof and one is not. I am now without a phone although I do have insurance. However, it's the principal of the matter to me now. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Upvote 0
Funny...it is definately waterproof if it is sealed properly...i have multiple pictures from underwater..beach...pool...springs..whereever...never had an issue...check this picture out..phone cometely submerged and naked....

Attachments

• 1410893054916.jpg
    1410893054916.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0
It will be "water proof" UNTIL the USB charging port is opened the first time.

After that, it is splash resistant.

I don't care how much they advertise otherwise. I will not allow water to get anywhere near my S5. It is no better than the ones w/o seals, because the charging port cover is useless as a seal.

The Gallon or 2.5 gallon bag of rice will do a pretty good job if the phone is left in the bag, with all the covers and battery removed AND left in that bag for about 3 days minimum.

The best thing to do is to put it in a sealed canister and pull a full 26 inch vacuum on it for a minimum of an hour. 3 hours will remove all moisture period.

No different than pulling an air conditioner system down before recharging it. That removes all moisture and oil vapors.

Caveat..... pull the battery ASAP! do NOT leave it in the phone until AFTER all moisture is gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones