1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy s5 Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CanYaTakeIt, Oct 29, 2014.

1. CanYaTakeIt

CanYaTakeIt Lurker

I live in the USA and bought an unlocked Galaxy s5 from a manufacturer in China. I got an excellent deal on the phone, but a few things are driving me crazy.
    1. I cannot change the default pin password lock-screen to anything but default. I have Nova launcher and Widget locker also.
    2. In system settings..Lock screen there are only 2 settings to change, S view window color and weather unit.
    3.In system settings, Power saving Mode, I only have one option, "@2131495362", and it is a tic box. When tic'ed it does go into power saving mode. I thought there were many options available.
    4. When I try system updates it says "You system is currently up to date", but Network connection failed pop up also. I have ATT as my provider.
    5. And the biggest annoyance. using Kies 3, I am able to connect to the phone wirelessly, can see the phone when plugged in using usb file explorer, but unable to use Kies 3 to perform any firmware or system changes. Also the csc code in the phone does not have a USA csc code which I would like to update so I can receive the latest updates for my phone.

Gs5 Model # SM-G900H, Android version 4.4.2

If anybody has any tips, ideas, or help to share it would be greatly appreciated. My last question, since I got such a great deal on the phone, should I just quit complaining and be happy with what I have?

Thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to Android Forums CanYaTakeIt! :)

You have the SM-G900H variant of the Samsung Galaxy S5 which is the octa core, non 4G, version. This is running stock firmware unique to China. You, "may", be able to flash an International octa core firmware, SM-G900H, to it via Odin as they are identical. Whether this solves your problems remains to be seen.

CanYaTakeIt likes this.
  3. CanYaTakeIt

CanYaTakeIt Lurker

Thank you "ironass" for your reply. I have enough knowledge about flashing roms to be dangerous, but not a guru by any means. My question's here is, after downloading Odin3_v3.09 and the SM-G900H Exynos International rom, 1. Will it be in English, and 2. The build versions are not the same, so will it be ok and not brick? I will of course back up all data before proceeding. Thank you!

4. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

There are numerous stock Samsung stock firmwares for the G900H and all will contain an English language pack. Unfortunately, none of these firmwares are for the USA or Europe. You can download them from SamMobile, here, by entering G900H in the firmware search box.

English will be one of the languages included whichever firmware you choose.

It will not, "brick", your phone as they are identical but by flashing a firmware for anything other than the original will mean voiding your warranty and you will no longer be able to update OTA or via Kies and will need to flash any future updates via Odin.

CanYaTakeIt likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews