• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 receives Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 update!

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
I have been on stock Samsung Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 for nearly 2 weeks now.

Samsung are close to rolling out Android 6.0.1 as my early release stock Samsung firmware for the unbranded worldwide, international, model, G900F, on CSC code OXA and Product code BTU, (United Kingdom, unbranded), shows in this video...

(Thanks to MixTech for the video, here)

For more information about your model of Samsung Galaxy S5, CSC and Product codes, see #1.8 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

If you have the G900F model of Samsung Galaxy S5 and did not receive the, now withdrawn, pre release version of Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, for CSC code OXA and Product code BTU, (United Kingdom, unbranded), or, you have a different CSC and Product code on your worldwide, international, G900F and want to try it and do not mind voiding your warranty or future updates via OTA or Kies/Smart Switch, (see warning in #1.11 of the aforementioned guide), an Odin flashable .tar version has been created of Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, here. This is for competent users. Please read the installation thread carefully and thoroughly before proceeding.

Last edited:
Hi thanks a lot for this I have the sm 900f so this should work on this model. I will give it a go
uploadfromtaptalk1456072359451.png

Just to confirm so I'm not looking at the wrong info

Upvote 0
Really loving the new Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, firmware! :D

After receiving the update from Lollipop to Marshmallow I did what I always do on updates of this magnitude and performed a Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset as per #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. I checked out the phone before downloading my apps but not the settings as those saved settings would be for Lollipop. Finally, I loaded on all my music, photos and data. By updating in this fashion I was then confident that any issues that may occur would not be, as so often is the case, because of detritus from my old Lollipop setup. Having said that, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever since updating.

Marshmallow is fast and very, very, good on battery life. Particularly with the new Doze feature that conserves battery whilst the phone is resting.

IMHO, Marshmallow is not as big an update as Lollipop was but rather, it is the icing on the cake. :)

Upvote 0
Really loving the new Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, firmware! :D

After receiving the update from Lollipop to Marshmallow I did what I always do on updates of this magnitude and performed a Full Wipe+Factory Data Reset as per #2.3, #2.4 and #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. I checked out the phone before downloading my apps but not the settings as those saved settings would be for Lollipop. Finally, I loaded on all my music, photos and data. By updating in this fashion I was then confident that any issues that may occur would not be, as so often is the case, because of detritus from my old Lollipop setup. Having said that, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever since updating.

Marshmallow is fast and very, very, good on battery life. Particularly with the new Doze feature that conserves battery whilst the phone is resting.

IMHO, Marshmallow is not as big an update as Lollipop was but rather, it is the icing on the cake. :)

A lot of people have been complaining about the G900T 5.1.1 update on the Tmobile message board, common complaint is the device locking up when multitasking.

I really hope 6 resolves the issues.

Upvote 0
Hi ironass,
If i flash back my stock rom after trying out this would it still void my warranty?

I have not used the ROM mentioned in post #1 as I had the firmware update direct from Samsung but I am guessing that it will trip your Knox Security flag from my reading of the installation thread. Once tripped it cannot be reset and may potentially void your warranty.

Upvote 0
Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, has now been released for the following on the international model, G900F....

United Kingdom (Vodafone)
Bulgaria (MTL)
Netherlands
Germany (Vodafone)
Italy (Vodafone)
Croatia (Vipnet)
Slovenia (Si.Mobil)
Romania (Vodafone)
Hungary (Vodafone)
Ireland (Vodafone)
Netherlands (Vodafone)
Czech Republic (Vodafone)
Greece (Vodafone)
Cyprus
Portugal (Vodafone)
Albania (Vodafone)
UAE
Sri Lanka

Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, has also now been released for the following on the regional model, G900M....

Trinidad & Tobago (2nd update)
Argentina
Chile
Colombia
Panama
Uruguay
Brazil

Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, has also now been released for the following on the regional model, G900i....

India

The Canadian carrier branded models, G900W8, are receiving their Marshmallow update to Android 6.0.1 on the following firmware...

April 2, 2016 Security patch

AP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CSC: G900W8OYA1DPD3
Changelist: 7722359

More rolling out as I type. :)

Upvote 0
More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

Austria (T-Mobile)
Austria (Telering)
Romania (Cosmote)
Croatia (T-Mobile)
Greece (Cosmote)
Macedonia (T-Mobile)
Slovakia
Hungary (T-Mobile)
Netherlands (T-Mobile)
Czech Republic (T-Mobile)
Montenegro
Spain (Vodafone)

Also, as mentioned above, there are Marshmallow releases for the Canadian regional model, G900W8...

Canada (Virgin)
Canada (Telus)
Canada (Videotron)
Canada (SaskTel)
Canada (Wind Mobile)
Canada (Bell)
Canada (Koodo Mobile)
Canada (East Link)

More rolling out as I type. :):):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Austria (T-Mobile)
Austria (Telering)
Romania (Cosmote)
Croatia (T-Mobile)
Greece (Cosmote)
Macedonia (T-Mobile)
Slovakia
Hungary (T-Mobile)
Netherlands (T-Mobile)
Czech Republic (T-Mobile)
Montenegro
Spain (Vodafone)

Also, as mentioned above, there are Marshmallow releases for the Canadian regional model, G900W8...

Canada (Virgin)
Canada (Telus)
Canada (Videotron)
Canada (SaskTel)
Canada (Wind Mobile)
Canada (Bell)
Canada (Koodo Mobile)
Canada (East Link)

More rolling out as I type. :):):)

Nice, any word on Rogers in Canada? I think they are always late to the party!

Upvote 0
Nice, any word on Rogers in Canada? I think they are always late to the party!

I think we must give Verizon the "late to the party" award ;) Anyway, OS upgrades are often double edged swords. Hopefully Marshmallow will bring some real improvements over Lollipop (not that there's anything wrong with Lollipop) and not screw up the Verizon Galaxy S5 :)

Upvote 0
What happened to gray scale mode? The battery saver does nothing except turn down my brightness and stop some apps from running in the background.
It was my favourite battery save feature. And now its gone.
Anyone know if any custom roms take advantage od grayscale? I'll root today if someone can confirm.

Someone told me this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696537, would easy root, but said that it wasn't meant for me to add custom roms.

Upvote 0
What happened to gray scale mode? The battery saver does nothing except turn down my brightness and stop some apps from running in the background.
On my Sprint Galaxy S5 (with stock, rooted Android 6.0.1) both Power Saving mode and (gray-scale-invoking) Ultra Power Saving mode are available in the settings. I'd be surprised if any other carrier would eliminate that useful, (potentially life-saving) option.
Someone told me this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696537, would easy root, but said that it wasn't meant for me to add custom roms.
I'm pretty sure that method doesn't work on Galaxy S5's with OS versions greater than Android 5.0 (or maybe even greater than 4.4.2). I wrote a step-by-step tutorial on how to root Android 6.0.1 Sprint Galaxy S5s. I'm pretty sure that it works on non-Sprint Galaxy S5s, but I can't guarantee it. Once you're rooted with a custom-recovery (like TWRP), then you should be able to install custom ROMs. But nowadays with (a) Android 6.0.1 being so good, (b) custom-ROM development for the Galaxy S5 being so weak because it's "old", and (c) with the Xposed framework's ability to let us tweak stock ROMs to "build-in" the types of features that were once only available in custom ROMs, you may not want to install a custom ROM.

Upvote 0

United Kingdom (Three)
United Arab Emirates
Egypt
Iraq
Saudi Arabia

Releases also for the dual sim model, G900FD, for...

Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan

Releases also for the Turkish model, G900FQ, for...

Turkey

Releases also for the Latin America model, G900M, for...

Panama
Chile
Uruguay
Bolivia
Argentina
Trinidad & Tobago

With only one, lightly, branded model above, we can see that being on stock Samsung, unbranded, firmware has its advantages... no carrier to hold things up! :D

Upvote 0
Excuse my level of knowledge. If I give you my phones information, could you tell me if I am ready or soon will be for ver 6 marshmallow?
Samsung-SM - G900V, ver 5.0, G900VVRU28PB1, G900V.05 , Kernel 3.4.0
Config ver. J13.SAM.SMG900V1
It seems everyone except Samsung has marshmallow and all the new devices have it. I hope they have not forgotten their Flagship because they will lose many customers.
I think the Touch Wiz is one thing holding them back.LG is looking good.
But as I said, my knowlege level is low.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Excuse my level of knowledge. If I give you my phones information, could you tell me if I am ready or soon will be for ver 6 marshmallow?
Samsung-SM - G900V, ver 5.0, G900VVRU28PB1, G900V.05 , Kernel 3.4.0
Config ver. J13.SAM.SMG900V1
It seems everyone except Samsung has marshmallow and all the new devices have it. I hope they have not forgotten their Flagship because they will lose many customers.
I think the Touch Wiz is one thing holding them back.LG is looking good.
But as I said, my knowlege level is low.
Thank you

You have the U.S. carrier branded minority variant of Galaxy S5 for Verizon. Unfortunately, their firmware updates are not released via Samsung, see #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, so only Verizon know the answer to that question. They released the Marshmallow update for the Galaxy S6 a month ago, so hopefully, an S5 release before the middle of June.

Fun fact for the Verizon model, its last actual firmware update, (not security patches), to changelist #4782027, was almost a year ago. Making it the oldest and most out-of-date firmware on the planet. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones