1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S5 Sim Card (Boost Mobile)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by systemofadown, Nov 27, 2014.

1. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast

Hey guy's, maybe you can help me figure this out.
    I just purchased a Galaxy S5 used on ebay. The description says that the Sim Card is not included.
    I think I read that Boost mobile uses the Sim card for 4g lte only apparently but will not having one affect me? I guess I wont have 4g lte but it sure would be nice to have. Anyone else had this problem? What are my options?
    Should I contact boost & tell them I need a new one? I wonder how much a Boost Sim card will cost? I'm new to this Sim card thing lol......
    I did call Boost & Sprint but really got nowhere... :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

If boost does sim cards, which I haven't heard of before until now, I imagine it's only for their 4g services and you shouldn't be effected if you don't have one. Minus not having 4g service.

Edit

http://www.boost.com.au/sim_detail.aspx?pid=5

systemofadown likes this.
  3. Firewill10

Firewill10 Android Enthusiast

The s5 comes with the Sim card installed for boost. I believe some of the other models do too

4. systemofadown

Thanks guys, looks like I just need to pick up a Boost Mobile Micro Sim card. I think that link is the Australian branch but it does give me hope :)

DragonSlayer95 likes this.
  5. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Oh, oops. I didn't realize until now I posted the Australian boost :p it should be all around the same though.

6. systemofadown

OK I finally got the correct SIM card yesterday evening. After two tries they sent me a sprint card each time which was not compatible (even though Sprint is basically the service provider). just in case anyone else purchases this phone and has the same problems I'll give the cards part number that you need here. Ask Boost for SIMGLW206R. It might just save you a few weeks of needless frustration ;)

RHONDAVAS77 likes this.
  7. SabolSlayer

SabolSlayer Lurker

Thank you for this forum bcuz its goin to save me from alot of researching and trouble cuz i have encountered the same issue exact same thing as u actually ebay 4g boost s5 just yeah you know and i was thinkij if its gonna affect me also till i read this and now I know which simcard to get for the 4G thank you. P.s love the name btw lol SOAD rocks yo well peace out METAL \m/^0^

8. systemofadown

Glad it helped :)
    If I recall correctly, before you pop the SIM Card in your new phone call Boost first. They will ask for the number on the card & activate it.
    Good luck & Enjoy the phone, it Rocks ;)

9. RHONDAVAS77

RHONDAVAS77 Lurker

I'm so glad i found this forum because i purchased a Galaxy s5 on ebay for my daughter and of course it didnt come with the Sims Card...Thank you "Systemofadown" for the information it also kept me from having to figure this all out on my own....which means a lot less stress!

10. systemofadown

You're Very Welcome :)
    Took weeks to get the right card, but hopefully you won't have to go through the same process ;)

11. momo93

momo93 Lurker

Hello, I know this post is a little older but I was hoping I could get some help/clarification. I am about to buy an unlocked S5. As long as I go buy the SIMGLW206R sim card I can call boost and have them activate the phone for me? I researched the sim card online and Im just a little confused because it says it is a Sprint one. Does it matter where I buy the sim card from?

Thanks for any help!

12. systemofadown

If I follow you, you have an international Galaxy S5 (unlocked)?
    I know this card will give you 4g on a boost g900p (s5) but I'm not sure if it will work with an international model (g900f I believe).
    Can you tell me your model number - go into settings and scroll down to about phone - you should see the phone's model number there.

13. momo93

momo93 Lurker

Thanks for responding!!!
    I actually havnt bought the phone yet. Im getting it throught a site my job offers. Ill copy and paste the model number and info below.

Model#: Samsung Galaxy S5 G900A
    GSM bands: 850/900/1800/1900
    HSDPA bands: 850/1900/2100
    LTE bands

14. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

The G900A is a GSM network, carrier minority variant model for the U.S., AT&T network, (see #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide ), and is not suitable for use on the Boost or other CDMA networks, such as Sprint, Bluegrass, etc: You can check a particular phone's compatibility with other networks by using Will My Phone Work?

#14 ironass, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. I know this posting is old i just want clarity i just bought a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 and i use boost... from what i am reading this phone Will work on a boost mobile network???

16. ironass

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Klayton saunders :)

Both Sprint and Boost are G900P model, CDMA, phones and Boost uses Sprint's network.

17. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S5 for a few months now on Boost without a SIM card. I've had no problems that I can discern. However, my daughter now has the same model on Boost as well but she cannot send text messages. It's been nearly a week.

I was originally told by Boost to contact Sprint for the SIM card. I just did that and they sent me back to Boost. (Meanwhile I found this question on this forum.)

I now have two SIM cards on the way to me (from Boost). I'm doubtful that it will fix her texting problem. We've done the PRL and profile update at least four times and she receives texts fine. She can even send MMS texts, which Boost warns might not work with formerly Sprint phones. The agent suggested a factory reset. I'm not convinced he thought that would fix it and it sounds like a PITA.

I did find another workaround in another forum, so we'll see if that works.

18. Beth Doyle

Beth Doyle Lurker

I have had the same problems that your daughter has. I bought a used Galaxy S5 (also no SIM) and I was able to text without any problems for a few weeks. Then I updated the operating system from Lollipop to Marshmallow, and I could no longer send texts. I did a factory reset, and that did not help. I called tech support at Boost and Samsung, and they were unable to help. I finally ended up returning my phone and ordering a new one. The new one worked fine until I upgraded the OS, and the same thing happened again. No texting. So frustrating! Can anybody help, please?

19. I received the SIM cards and had a BOOST support person walk me through install/activation. (Although it was really nothing different from activating the phone, where you put the special ##xxxxx# code in and let it run through its configurations and activations and reboots, but I was more comfortable having someone tell me exactly what to do in case something didn't work.)

The upshot is that my daughter can now text perfectly fine from her formerly Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 (bought secondhand online) on Boost. Her phone (a week on Boost) apparently updated to Marshmallow from the git-go, while mine is still on Lollipop (5.0). I was leery of even installing a SIM card on my phone since I'd had no problems, but so far, so good.

20. Beth Doyle

Beth Doyle Lurker

Thank you for the update, concessiongirl! I have ordered a SIM card, and my fingers are crossed that this is the solution to all of my texting problems. If not, this phone is going back too, and I'm looking for a new carrier.

21. Beth Doyle

Beth Doyle Lurker

I just got my SIM card, and it worked! I just put it in and turned the phone on and successfully texted for the first time in weeks without adding a picture. Woohoo!

22. EricaI419

EricaI419 Lurker

So from what I'm getting is that a 900a is NOT compatible with boost? I need help! I'm not in the know about phones and I don't want to spend my money on something I can't use....! HELP

23. systemofadown

The A variant is only for AT&T

24. systemofadown

You'll want to get the G900P boost mobile S5.

25. ironass

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews