1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S5 (SM-G900I) randomly turning off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kalyori, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Kalyori

Kalyori Lurker

I am having an issue with my Galaxy S5 (4 years old) where it randomly turns off. I can't turn it back on, either... I have to plug it back into power and then once the battery capacity symbol shows up then I can turn it back on.

I can be using it one minute, put it down and come back half an hour later and it's off.

I asked about this elsewhere and it was suggested that it could be (or was highly likely) an issue with the battery. Consequently I bought a new one ($50 AUD - from a battery store - not eBay) however the issue persists.

I can't remember the issue happening prior to updating to 6.x, so perhaps it's worthwhile rolling back to 5.x?

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Any suggestions as to what I can do to try and diagnose it?

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Is it actually shutting down, or is the screen simply going black?

My old S5 would black out for no reason.

3. Kalyori

Kalyori Lurker

Well, I think so. No buttons work whatsoever, and then when I connect it to the power it shows up with the battery capacity symbol (like when it's been turned off, not at the lock screen). And then I press and hold power on and it turns back on.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews