• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy s6 battery won't calibrate .

Cosmin GS6

Lurker
May 22, 2018
Hello guys . I replaced the battery in my galaxy s6 because the old battery was terrible(2.5H to 3h of sot at best ) . The problem I have is that the battery draines nearly as fast as before but when it reaches 1%, it lasts on average 35-50 minutes of continuous use before shutting down (with a total sot of 4h+ easily )
the methods I've tried:
1. the good old fashioned recalibration . the phone was completely drained and charged up to 100% while it was shut down .
2. i wiped the cache partition to see if it helps
3. i've tried the *#0228# code for battery reset .
4. even a recalibration using at the end a recalibration app from the play store .
5 . i also factory reset the phone .

do you have any ideas of what i can do ? i'm running android 7.0 (non rooted phone)

"Calibration" apps are useless, don't bother with them.
Fully draining a Li-ion battery is bad for it, don't do it.
You might have an app or process on the phone that is using excess battery, look at Settings/Battery to see what things are using the most battery. GSam Battery Monitor can give you a more detailed display of battery usage.
Worst case you could have a hardware issue with the phone that is causing the drain.

Reactions: KBU2
Upvote 0
Hello guys . I replaced the battery in my galaxy s6 because the old battery was terrible(2.5H to 3h of sot at best ) . The problem I have is that the battery draines nearly as fast as before but when it reaches 1%, it lasts on average 35-50 minutes of continuous use before shutting down (with a total sot of 4h+ easily )
the methods I've tried:
1. the good old fashioned recalibration . the phone was completely drained and charged up to 100% while it was shut down .
2. i wiped the cache partition to see if it helps
3. i've tried the *#0228# code for battery reset .
4. even a recalibration using at the end a recalibration app from the play store .
5 . i also factory reset the phone .

do you have any ideas of what i can do ? i'm running android 7.0 (non rooted phone)

https://thedroidguy.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-troubleshooting

Upvote 0
"Calibration" apps are useless, don't bother with them.
Fully draining a Li-ion battery is bad for it, don't do it.
You might have an app or process on the phone that is using excess battery, look at Settings/Battery to see what things are using the most battery. GSam Battery Monitor can give you a more detailed display of battery usage.
Worst case you could have a hardware issue with the phone that is causing the drain.
the thing is , the battery doesn't really drain do to an app or something (i've used accubattery for diagnostics) is the fact that the phone won't give me an accurate reading of the real percentage of the battery ) as i've said , once it reaches 1% the phone will not die for 35-50 min of continuous use .

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with @Fox Mulder, draining a LI-ion battery is not a good practice. If you continue doing this repeatedly all you're doing is shortening the battery's overall life, intentionally running it down to single digits does nothing to 'calibrate' it. Don't apply out-dated misconceptions to manage your phone's battery, try reading through some of the articles here on battery maintenance:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
(.... and do focus just on smartphone Li-ion batteries, other types of batteries have different requirements -- i.e. some of the things you're attempting may have applied to NiCad batteries.)
Since it does sound like you've been trying to use a variety of those debatably reliable 'battery fixing' apps, try uninstalling all of them -- using 'Force stop', then go into 'Storage' and 'Clear data', and then 'Uninstall' for each. Then reboot your phone, and see how things work out without them.

Since replacing the battery resulted in pretty much the same problem, it apparently wasn't the actual problem. You referred to running Nougat, does any particular app or background process stand out as odd when you look in your Settings >> Battery menu? Have you gone through the 'Battery optimization' option to optimize your apps?
https://lifehacker.com/how-android-doze-works-and-how-to-tweak-it-to-save-you-1785921957

Upvote 0
thanks for your answer , but i don't think you understand the problem i have . the thing is the battery life after replacement has improved from 2.5h-3h of sot at best to 4h+ easily . the fact that the phone won't give me an accurate reading of the real percentage of the battery . as i've said , once it reaches 1% the phone will not die for 35-50 min of continuous use .and i uninstalled all those apps right after i finished using them .

Upvote 0
the thing is , the battery doesn't really drain do to an app or something (i've used accubattery for diagnostics) is the fact that the phone won't give me an accurate reading of the real percentage of the battery ) as i've said , once it reaches 1% the phone will not die for 35-50 min of continuous use .

Somehow I don't see that as being a problem having 35 to 50 minutes of use with only 1% of power in the battery left but an Advantage if you asked me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones