• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S6 doesn't recognize USB mode when plugged into machine.

LGIT

Lurker
Jun 15, 2018
We received a Samsung S6 with Android 7.0 installed back from a user. We need to copy off data (voicemails/texts) but when I plug it into any PC, the PC doesn't recognize the device let alone the phone doesn't prompt a USB option. The phone charges fine via any USB cord.

Below is everything I've tried so far:
- Tried different machines
- Tried multiple different USB cables
- Enabled developer mode and turned on USB debugging as well as tried changing it to MTP and PTP USB mode.
- Installed the Samsung Drivers on multiple PC's
- Installed the Samsung Smart Switch application and "Reinstalled Drivers"
- There are no pending android updates for it

I'm out of ideas. I need the texts and voicemails (Which are saved on the internal memory)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Have you looked at the hidden menu USB settings? Pull up the phones dialer keypad and enter *#0808#
Should take you to the USB menu.
MTP+ADB should be checked. This is what it looks like on S5

Attachments

• 2015-11-11 02.33.46.png
    2015-11-11 02.33.46.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0
Have you looked at the hidden menu USB settings? Pull up the phones dialer keypad and enter *#0808#
Should take you to the USB menu.
MTP+ADB should be checked. This is what it looks like on S5
inputting that key combo in the galaxy S6 didn't do anything but I access that similar USB options when I activated the developer mode in the settings. I've already made sure it was set to MTP and or ADB

Upvote 0
The phone is using Verizon's messenger and voicemailer. So I don't think AirDroid can transfer those.

AFAIK Airdroid can transfer pretty much any data, as long as it's user accessible without root. But if Verizon's proprietary thing is burying it in system? Don't know. Can it be synced online through Verizon's servers, in the cloud?

Upvote 0
The phone is using Verizon's messenger and voicemailer. So I don't think AirDroid can transfer those.
Well.. That explains a lot. You have Verizon, which means your phone isn't really yours and you can't do what ya want with it... as it's so locked down, you can barely even make calls. Do yourself a favor and choose ANY CARRIER & device except Verizon's do you can properly enjoy and use your device at leisure.. Someone offered me a brand new Galaxy phone (their dime) once and I refused, kept my cheaper device that I can make custom ROMs for and do as I wish. Really tho, Verizon is NOT the Carrier or device to use if you want much Android help.. Soory but most ppl asking for help have already shot themselves in the foot by using Verizon.. You won't even get timely updates the them or even be allowed to build your own either.. I do apologized for being so blunt tho

Didn't know you had the Verizon branded model. Verizon blocks access to hidden menu settings.
Oh crap.. Down with Verizon! Lol

Upvote 0
AFAIK Airdroid can transfer pretty much any data, as long as it's user accessible without root. But if Verizon's proprietary thing is burying it in system? Don't know. Can it be synced online through Verizon's servers, in the cloud?
So I tried AirDroid and was able to successfully save off the voicemails I needed. Now just some solution for the text messages... Will probably screenshot it or copy/paste

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones