1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S7 Edge, factory reset, phone locked. "FRP"

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Papamalo, May 22, 2019.

1. Papamalo

Papamalo Android Enthusiast

Hello all.
    I recently received a used at&t Galaxy S7 (variant SM-G935A) that hadn't been used in over a year, and was looking forward to using it. The previous owner, was elderly, didn't like smart phones to begin with, and doesn't remember any password. I factory reset it, and was preparing for a lifetime of joy and happiness with my new S7 Edge, When I encountered this message:

"This device was reset, To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously synced on this device"

I tried numerous sign in's all to no avail, and the previous owner doesn't even remember the password, (Probably why I was given this phone) so now I am stuck with a beautiful looking brick. After the factory reset, I assumed it would be blank and that I could sign in with my google account, but that is not working. I've seen a few "FRP" solutions, that include downloading apk's, but some of the sources look questionable.
    I was thinking maybe I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the ODIN panel, or something else like that, but for now I appear stuck.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?
    thanks!
    PM

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Well sad news to tell you FRP (Factory Reset Protection) is a security to protect a previous owners data, however you can try downgrading the device to a lower firmware and possibly reset and erase FRP to sign in using odin, but theirs still a chance frp is still tripped, id love to say good news but unless you know the last owner(s) google login info you basically just have a paper weight thats built as a phone

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Someone else was enquiring same thing this morning about a Galaxy S7 and FRP. And basically it's a security feature to try and stop thieves and fences, and so no easy bypass.

I know Samsung service can reset it, but you must prove legitimate ownership of course.

4. Papamalo

I think I will quiz them for a while and try to get them to remember.
    If I do find the proper log in, can I later remove their account info and replace it with my own, or am I stuck with their info on my phone no matter what I do?
    Thanks.
    PM

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Yes once logged in. You can do a factory reset within the phone via your phone's setting. Then you can add your account to it.

mikedt likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I wonder if the previous owner, with your assistance, could do an account recovery through Google. You know, where they have to verify themselves, and then get a password reset link.

Jfalls63, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  7. Papamalo

Thanks you guys! They got a password reset, and I used new password and now it works!
    PM

8. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Yay! I'm glad it worked!

Jfalls63 and ocnbrze like this.
  9. Papamalo

And yet I was surprised to see that massive AT&T bloatware on the phone.Also the oppressive AT&T overlords logo is on everything.
    I guess I need to root it. been years since I've done that.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks again. really looking forward to a Samsung! (again)

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep i always go to xda for root guides, recoveries, and custom roms. it is a great developers forum.

here you go:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/guide-how-to-root-android-8-0-oreo-t3840271