• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 Edge return to full stock

exmotech

Jul 12, 2018
I have a problem with a telephone I bought today, the Galaxy S7 Edge. It is rooted and I can't install many apps from the play store (android pay doesnt work, netflix etc). I also get some security notifications and when I boot I am welcomed with TeamWin recovery with lots of options. I selected Reboot--> System because I wanted to reboot the system and get rid of the rooting.

My telephone rebooted and I have the samsung logo flashing and flashing.

I am not a power user and I just want to have the normal apps from the store.

Should I let the screen flash until it stops or restart? It's been flashing like that for 15 minutes while the phone should reboot within seconds.

Please help me.

I agree with @Snakeyeskm , buying a rooted phone is a very risky proposition. You never really know what's been done to it.

Let's assume the original owner simply put a custom rom on the device. The S7 almost certainly is out of warranty so there's no need to be concerned there.

I think your best course of action would be to use Samsung's Smart Switch and perform an emergency recovery, which would flash the phone's original firmware. The catch is, for it to be able to determine the correct firmware, you'll need the phone's serial number.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. I didn't know the phone was rooted. I just needed a phone with a good camera, basic apps (messenger, facebook, netflix etc.) and that's it.

I can do whatever is needed to unroot the phone but I need to be sure it doesn't get bricked in the process. I don't even know if phones nowadays can get bricked. The phone has started so if the Samsung Smart Switch is a safe process I can go for it. However the website informs only about transferring data and personal stuff from phone to phone but no word on emergency recovery.

Upvote 0
The primary purpose of Smart Switch is to copy data from one phone to another, or to backup your existing device, but it does have utility functions as well, including reflashing the firmware.

I found a pretty good tutorial here: http://www.blogtechtips.com/2017/06/24/easily-restore-samsung-device-firmware-with-smart-switch/

The most important part is to get the IMEI and serial numbers written down before you start, and to never interrupt the process once you start. Give yourself a good 1/2 hour for the actual process.

Upvote 0
If I have the IMEI and serial, then is it a safe process which will give me a clean system?

I also don't know the reason why the phone was rooted. Is it possible that after returning to the original firmware I will end up with a SIM-LOCK or with Knox lock or with a carrier system overlay and bloatware? It would be a stupid idea to unroot a phone only to have it locked :-(

Upvote 0
Yes, it's safe.

What you will end up with is a phone that has the original factory firmware and the knox counter tripped. That shouldn't be an issue since the phone is well out of warranty.

If the sim works now, it will work after, too. Once a phone is carrier unlocked it stays that way.

It will wipe out any data you've got now, so back that up first, but otherwise it's perfectly safe to do, as long as you don't interrupt the flashing procedure.

Upvote 0
Simply the Samsung servers do not offer this kind of service anymore.

I find that hard to believe. More likely is the phone you purchased is blocked or blacklisted. Perhaps it was reported stolen, or it was part of an unfulfilled contract that has outstanding balances, or it was sold into a market it was not intended for (grey market sales). It could even be counterfeit.

Do you have the exact model number? There are other options for restoring the stock firmware.

Upvote 0
Assuming you've been trying to use 'Smart Switch' and not 'Smart Watch' to restore your phone, just keep in mind the Samsung's Smart Switch is used as a more or less automated way to update and/or restore a phone's firmware. It usually works but it's not that surprising when it doesn't. You can still try doing it the well-established, manual way instead. It requires you to download the matching ROM for your S7E and then use either the Odin or Heimdall utility to transfer (more commonly referred to as 'flash') that downloaded ROM onto your phone. You'll need a computer to run Odin or Heimdall, and connect your phone via its USB cable. It is really important that you use a ROM that exactly matches your phone model though, do not mix-and-match ROMs. You can go here, find the correct ROM you need that matches your country and your carrier, and on the actual download page you've selected will be instructions on how to flash the ROM:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?q=galaxy+s7+edge&exact=1&r=&v=&rpp=100

https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I am stuck. Samsung has blocked device initialization in Smart Watch. Even after downloading earlier versions of Smart Watch, I get a 'device unsupported' type of message. Simply the Samsung servers do not offer this kind of service anymore.

Soooo, any new ideas?
Smart Switch is very particular about the information you enter, Model number and SN has to be entered exactly as written on your device. All upper case letters and pay attention to spaces. It may take several attempts to get it correct.

Reactions: lunatic59 and svim
Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I meant Smart Switch and not Watch :)

The problem is that The newest version of Smart Switch doesn't have the 'device initialization' tab at all. I have downloaded the previous version and the tab is available there but it doesn't connect to the Samsung ROM servers. Either I am doing something wrong or Samsung has simply said bye-bye to users who want to restore the system. There is no device initialization at all.

I bought a used phone but in mint condition. In spite of that I don't know the country of origin (some European country for sure) and the carrier.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay but the app you mentioned above did not work (white blank screen) so I got frustrated, then I had to travel with my kids for a while and recently I have managed to install a different 'phone info' app which actually displays stuff. Below are the results:

Screenshot_20180727-092306_SamMobile Device Info.jpg Screenshot_20180727-092320_SamMobile Device Info.jpg Screenshot_20180727-092410_SamMobile Device Info.jpg

What now? Is it possible to safely return to stock firmware?

Thanks

Upvote 0
My plan is to download exactly the same firmware although there is a newer version but I am thinking (as a newbie) that it is better to install the same stuff that works and then rely on OTA to perform the updates.

If something goes wrong is the Galaxy S7 Edge a phone that can get bricked eternally? I have read the Odin guide thorougly and fully understand it but, you know, things happen. I just need to be sure that my phone can be saved if problems occur.

Upvote 0
My plan is to download exactly the same firmware although there is a newer version but I am thinking (as a newbie) that it is better to install the same stuff that works and then rely on OTA to perform the updates.

If something goes wrong is the Galaxy S7 Edge a phone that can get bricked eternally? I have read the Odin guide thorougly and fully understand it but, you know, things happen. I just need to be sure that my phone can be saved if problems occur.
With most Samsung's, you can only flash what is currently on the phone or a newer version. As long as you can still get into download mode, you can usually recover from any mistakes. If Odin fails, normally phone will reboot back into it's current system.

Upvote 0
OK, but are you sure that I have to perform some actions with 4 files? The tutorial says to press the AP button and select one file and then click START, then wait a bit and voila, the phone has been flashed.

1. Download Odin
2. Download proper firmware
3. Download USB drivers
4. Enter download mode in phone
5. Connect phone to Odin and wait until it is recognized (blank space turns blue etc, blah, blah)
6. Press AP button, select file (there is only one 2,7GB file other files are small)
7. Press START
8. Enjoy :)

That's the way I see it. Am I getting things right?

Upvote 0
No, I have five files:

1. AP_blah-blah-blah - 2,7GB
2. BL_blah-blah-blah - 2MB
3. CP_blah-blah-blah - 25MB
4. CSC_ blah-blah-blah - 41MB
5. HOME_CSC_blah-blah-blah - 41MB

OK, so I assume that I have to select all the files and use either CSC or HOME_CSC whether I want a full reset or not. Do you suggest that it is better (in order to get a fully UNcustomized phone) to wipe the phone completely now and download the settings and apps saved in my samsung account or use the CSC file which doesn't affect user data?

Upvote 0
download the settings and apps saved in my samsung account or use the CSC file which doesn't affect user data?

I'm not sure you're clear on this. Using the HOME_CSC file will not preserve settings or personal data like text messages or email. When you flash an OS you are overwriting everything in the system partition with a fresh factory copy. What it saves is the user partition which would be things like photos and media.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately no luck!

The phone was flashed OK with Odin. It took a few minutes, it rebooted a few times and finally as a new, blank device. Phone info still shows device as 'hero2lte', product name as 'hero2lte'. Samsung Health does not work because of rooted device, samsung pay either. Secure folder does not work.

Is it possible that my phone is still rooted after the flashing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones