• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 Edge return to full stock

I have restored from my Google account but I doubt Google copies all the data from the phone (like bootloaders, custom ROMs, root files etc.).

Maybe TWRP (https://twrp.me/about/) makes some kind of mess in the filesystem? Like an additional bootable partition? Maybe Odin updates the firmware on the partition where the firmware is located, without touching other 'areas' of the phone. I'm a first-timer so I am just trying to find a logical explanation, without any practical knowledge.

What is the re-partition function in Odin for? Everyone says not to touch it. In the computer world (re)partitioning is a positive term, like a total cleanup, a fresh start. Meanwhile, whenever I read about repartitioning, everyone says 'dontcha ever touch it'. WTF?

Upvote 0
The new firmware actually contains a pit file it uses when you flash with Odin. A firmware flash completely overwrites the operating system on the phone.
I'm thinking that since your Google account knew previous phone was rooted and it tripped Safety Net check, and you restored Apps and data from a backup, that might be a issue.
Only way to check would be to remove your Google account from the phone, factory reset, and then log back into Google and set up as a new phone without restoring Apps and data.
One thing to check first would be To open the Play Store account, look in settings and at the bottom and see if it shows phone as Certified.

Upvote 0
Removed accounts, flashed phone with Odin once again, to make sure all is overwritten. Created a new, blank google account.

Samsung pay displays the following message 'Samsung Pay has been locked due to an unauthorised modification. Tap the link below to call customer service blah blah...'
Samsung Health displays the following: Because of a new security policy, samsung health can't be opened on a rooted device 0x110020null5f3130
Cannot create a samsung account so the 'secure folder' (which is what I really need) is not working. When I try to create a new samsung account I get 'processing' and nothing more happens.
Netflix has downloaded

What's important, phone info started working and below are the screenshots:

I get the hero2ltexx product name which seems not like a samsung name
No original CSC code
Root existence: NO - - -> WTF?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-141540[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-141540[1].jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 494
  • Screenshot_20180728-141553[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-141553[1].jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Screenshot_20180728-141610[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-141610[1].jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot_20180728-141622[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-141622[1].jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have also tried to create a samsung account on the PC and then launch the secure folder feature. I get the message that biometrics are unavailable on a ROOTED device. If I switch biometrics off and try to launch, then I get info that something went wrong, contact samsung...

Is it possible that rooting is a one way ticket? That even after unrooting the device it is still recognized/tagged/flagged as rooted by means of serial number, imei or other info?

Upvote 0
Maybe TWRP (https://twrp.me/about/) makes some kind of mess in the filesystem? Like an additional bootable partition? Maybe Odin updates the firmware on the partition where the firmware is located, without touching other 'areas' of the phone. I'm a first-timer so I am just trying to find a logical explanation, without any practical knowledge.

If you reboot into Recovery Mode, is it back to the Samsung stock Recovery or TWRP? If the flashing of a stock ROM was successful, along with installing a stock, non-rooted OS but it should have also restored a stock Recovery.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones