1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S7 has water damage after 5 seconds in pool

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fernando Beltran, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Fernando Beltran

None

Apr 3, 2016
    Male
    Last night around 7pm I put my phone in 1 foot of water for roughly 5 seconds. After the phone was in water I proceeded to dry it with a towel. Due to the s7 being advertised as water resistant in 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes I assumed it would be fine. This was not the case, the phone now has problems with charging, random black screens, and will not charge past 70%. Any recommendations? Samsung has told me it will take then 15 days to take care of the issue which seems like an awfully long time considering I paid $700 for the phone.

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    In a perfect world,your phone shoulda been no worse for the wear.
    However,Samsung has covered their arse with the following legalese:
    (See Page5)
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...G930_UM_EU_Marshmallow_Eng_Rev.1.0_160219.pdf
    Maintaining water and dust resistance Your device supports water- and dust-resistance. Follow these tips carefully to maintain the water- and dust-resistance of your device. Failure to do so may result in damage to your device. • Do not immerse the device in water deeper than 1.5 m and keep it submerged for more than 30 minutes. • Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as running water from taps, ocean waves, or waterfalls. • If the device is exposed to clean water, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to other liquids, rinse it with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If you do not follow these instructions, the device’s performance and appearance may be affected. • If the device has been immersed in water or the microphone, speaker, or receiver is wet, sound may not be heard clearly during a call. Wipe the device with a dry cloth or dry it thoroughly before using it. • The touchscreen and other features may not work properly if the device is used in water. • Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be waterand dust-resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP68 as described by the international standard IEC 60529-Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15-35°C, 86-106 kPa, 1.5 metre, 30 minutes). Despite this classification, it is still possible for your device to be damaged in certain situations.
    With that said,I'd take 'em up on their offer to take care of the issue & get a Lifeproof case for it if this type of use is gonna be a normal part of your phone use experience:
    http://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/galaxy-s7/fre-for-galaxy-s7/lpfr-sam-gs7.html

ironass likes this.
  3. Fernando Beltran

None

Apr 3, 2016
    Male
    After 24 hours from the incident the phone is now charging correctly. The battery however required me to clear the cache before charging past 70%.

SixtyDashOne, Khayman999 and KOLIO like this.
  4. Khayman999

Khayman999 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Italy
    Please, keep us posted, thank you.

5. howsbusiness

howsbusiness Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2016
    Considering how heavily Samsung is advertising it with the water resistance in mind, it should be able to handle water better than the reports? I'm too scared to really try it myself.

6. enewkirk1

enewkirk1 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    It's only water resistant up to 3 feet for 30 minutes, it states that in the specs. I just got a lifeproof case for mine that effectively doubles the protection, and it works very well. I like to take pics underwater and they look great.

7. Fernando Beltran

None

Apr 3, 2016
    Male
    Update the phone since opens VR at random times , apps that previously did not crash have started crashing, phone lags regularly now, and it doesn't connect to 4g lte in areas where it previously did.

8. Khayman999

Khayman999 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Italy
    Just out of curiosity, which case are you using?

9. Fernando Beltran

None

Apr 3, 2016
    Male
    I'm using a tech21 case.

Khayman999 likes this.
  10. monicakm

monicakm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 11, 2012
    How can Samsung slap an ip8 rating on the S7 (one step better than the S5) and not back it up? A foot of water for 5 seconds is a far cry from 3 feet for 30 minutes! Why bother with the expense of adding the technology and touting it if they can't back it up? False advertisement? And I was SO wanting to waste a few bottles of champagne by pouring it over my new phone ;)

11. jack58

jack58 Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Photography, Computers
    Tacoma, WA
    STUPID, stupid and extra stupid for admitting you did that on purpose! :rolleyes:

12. enewkirk1

enewkirk1 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Lifeproof Fre. I had one for my Galaxy S4 that was riddled with sound quality problems. I'm glad to say that the new case for the S7 has none of those issues.

Khayman999 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.