1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy S7 won't format SD Card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soulfetcher13, Mar 13, 2016.

1. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2009
    lab guy for Coca Cola
    tennessee
    Hello all! I am back to android from a very long hiatus. I am enjoying my new S7 to be sure but will take some getting used to. That said, I happily put in a brand new 64g sd card in preparation of filling it up with music, videos pictures all that. When I put it in, the phone said that it was corrupt and needed to be formatted. I tried using the format utility and it got to 20% and progressed no further. I am not able to use my sd card, can someone please point me in the right direction on how to solve this?

Advertisement

2. jason359

jason359 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    Male
    Have you tried reading the card on a computer? Assuming you have an adapter that is. It is possible it was corrupted even though new... the computer will tell you something similar if it cannot read it. That might confirm something wrong with the brand new card. What brand is it?

3. BillArf

BillArf Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    As jason359 said, format your card using your laptop. IF it will not format you may have a bad memory card. Yes, even a new memory card can be dead/problematic. ALSO, it is possible to get a memory card that when formatted does not give you the proper amount of storage space. Another words, with a alleged 64 GBcard you only get 32GB. If this happens the card is not right and should be returned to seller and you get another card.

For info on formatting read here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card

4. jason359

jason359 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    Male
    That is a good guide BillArf posted, but I would amend something to step #5. It says format in FAT32 but your card is 64 GB so you want to use EXFat. Also, like it says in the guide, don't check quick format if you think something is wrong with the card. It will take longer, though.

Snakeyeskm likes this.
  5. BillArf

BillArf Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    exFAT is a modern replacement for FAT32, and more devices support it than do NTFS — although it’s not as widespread as FAT32. Another words you see FAT32 more these days then exFAT. In the future you will see FAT32 replaced, period.

As for Quick Format... well, I never use it. If you are going to format, do take the needed time to do a full format. There are pluses for doing the full format.

6. martinleo547

martinleo547 Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2017
    You can try below-mentioned solution to fix Galaxy S7 Won’t Format SD card issue.

Solution 1: Check Write Protection Lock On the Card

If your card has small Switch Lock and has locked your card, then it will not allow you to format card.

So, first check if your SD card is locked or not, if locked then place the lock switch to unlock position.

Solution 2: Format The SD card On your Computer

Connect your SD card to PC.

Go to This PC/My Computer> right click o your SD card and select format option and perform quick format.

Now, I hope your problem will be solved.

Source for the answer - http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/fixed-cannot-format-micro-sd-card

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.