• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S8 Apps don't work over WiFi

Matttpk

Lurker
Jan 19, 2018
I just got off the phone with a Samsung representative and I'm really dissapointed in Samsung as a whole at this point. Full disclosure: Samsung doesn't give a f**k about you. I've read hundreds of reports on forums describing the same issue I have. Apps work over cellular data, but not WiFi (INCLUDING THE PLAY STORE). I was informed by the representative that Samsungs support forums do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (other than general troubleshooting). Samsung does NOT adress software issues reported to their, or any forums. They simply don't care, you already bought it and it works "enough". Samsung will not adress this issue unless a PERCENTAGE OF USERS REPORT THE ISSUE OVER THE PHONE THROUGH THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER: 18007267864

Hopefully others with this problem see this and follow suit. I think that's absolutely rediculous considering the price they charge for their half-baked tech. Now I have to go over my data to use my phone in my own house? Thanks Samsuck.

I just got off the phone with a Samsung representative and I'm really dissapointed in Samsung as a whole at this point. Full disclosure: Samsung doesn't give a f**k about you. I've read hundreds of reports on forums describing the same issue I have. Apps work over cellular data, but not WiFi (INCLUDING THE PLAY STORE). I was informed by the representative that Samsungs support forums do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (other than general troubleshooting). Samsung does NOT adress software issues reported to their, or any forums. They simply don't care, you already bought it and it works "enough". Samsung will not adress this issue unless a PERCENTAGE OF USERS REPORT THE ISSUE OVER THE PHONE THROUGH THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER: 18007267864

Hopefully others with this problem see this and follow suit. I think that's absolutely rediculous considering the price they charge for their half-baked tech. Now I have to go over my data to use my phone in my own house? Thanks Samsuck.
Help me! I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. I bought the S8 with so much passion and now because of this crappy bug, I'm feeling like that the time is coming when I have to leave the Galaxy and join Apple! You're so correct we have to switch on mobile data at home! I don't even have unlimited data, come on Samsung!

Upvote 0
Is the problem constant wherever you are in your house? If I shut a couple of doors in my house I get bad reception in a couple of rooms I'm in. Can you connect to Wi-Fi in other places or is it just your home Wi-Fi? If it's down to a Wi-Fi problem there's always an exclamation mark (!) next to the Wi-Fi signal. Do you have that? It could also be just the case of reboot your phone and reboot your router and let them reconnect.

Upvote 0
Is the problem constant wherever you are in your house? If I shut a couple of doors in my house I get bad reception in a couple of rooms I'm in. Can you connect to Wi-Fi in other places or is it just your home Wi-Fi? If it's down to a Wi-Fi problem there's always an exclamation mark (!) next to the Wi-Fi signal. Do you have that? It could also be just the case of reboot your phone and reboot your router and let them reconnect.
Haha, yeah man. My WiFi says it's working. And this issue is repeatable over different WiFi networks in different towns. This is the only device that has this issue. We use tablets and PC and our tablet and my girlfriends phone can use the play store no problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones