• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S9 freezes when I connect charging cable

tryoung71

Lurker
Oct 30, 2019
As the title suggests, my S9 started freezing when I connect a charging cable. I can't turn the phone off unless I press the volume down and power key at the same time to bring up the safe boot screen. I've tried the safe boot, but that doesn't help. I've tried shutting the phone down from this screen, letting it sit for a while, then power up, but it still freezes. I've tried a factory reset, but get the same results. Nothing I'm doing seems to be working.
Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me?

I have not tried the 'debug' mode. However, I tried to use my induction charging stand, and I am getting the same results as plugging in a cable, so there is definitely an issue in the charging portion of the phone. How do I Get to the Developer menu? Is that by holding the volume down key and the Bixby key, powering up, then hitting the volume up key?

Upvote 0
Hi, did you resolve the problem? I have the same issue

A Verizon employee told me that it was a hardware issue and that I need a new phone. So I used the insurance that I purchased along with the phone to have a new phone overnighted to me. Upon receiving it and setting it up with all the same apps, the new phone experienced the exact same symptoms. I got frustrated and I
Uninstalled the last 4 apps that I had installed. Apparently one of them was the culprit because I haven't had the issue since. I wish I could tell you what those apps were, but I honestly didn't remember.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones