• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S9 making random notifications

Floogyman

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
I have a strange sound (similar to the default media sound called crystal) that plays inconsistently. I have a Galaxy S9 and it is all up to date with its updates. I did not have this issue before the latest update, When the sound goes off, no notifications are visible. I have turned off all notifications (DND mode) and it still sounds. I do not have NFC on and I do not keep it anywhere near a credit card. I have also turned off Bluetooth, , sync, wifi, and location...did not work. The sound seems to be controlled by the ringtone volume, not Notification, Media, System or Bixby volumes. I have deleted every single app from my phone 1 by 1 to see if I could find the culprit to no avail. I do not have Accessability/Notification reminder on. I did notice that when in airplane mode it did not do it. I have tried ever fix I could find on the internet and am now asking the people who actually may know something. I have also restarted the phone and erased the cache many times and nothing seems to help.Anybody have any type of clue? Thanks to anybody they can provide any type of assistance.

Welcome to Android Forums, Floogyman!
Anybody have any type of clue?
I do, I do! :)

There are several ways of accomplishing the same thing, but my favorite is to use the Recent Notification app. (Note that I have the paid version.)

After installing, tweak its settings to suit you, then just let it run. I put a widget for it on one of my desktops so it's always handy. It will catch every notification, including system [unless you choose otherwise], and you should be able to spot the culprit easily. Just check its list when the phantom alert sounds.

Let us know if this works for you, or if you still need help, etc.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
hmmm nice app. i'm gonna have to give that a spin thanx
You're welcome! :)

It's very handy, and much nicer than some other ways of getting the same end result. For example, you can set your own limit for how many alerts to keep--a lot or a little, it's up to you. Other methods just arbitrarily scroll off after a very small number of alerts. You can select what types of alerts to ignore, such as recurring system calls that you generally wouldn't care about, and so on.

The best part is that you can go back to a notification you wanted to follow again, or when your swiping hand is a little too quick on the trigger, and you dismiss an alert you really should've pressed! :D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones