1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy SII and Straight Talk

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Hawkfan, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Hawkfan

Hawkfan Lurker

Hi! New to this forum. I looked at threads already on my subject and didn't see anything so, I hope this is new? Recently purchased a Galaxy SII unlocked to use on Straight Talk. Got all hooked up for talk and text but internet is very weak, 2G. After the fact I found that Straight Talk uses T Mobile towers for this phone, the closest T Mobile tower to me is 70 miles away. Any thoughts on getting better connectivity? I might mention that this was an AT & T phone. I love this phone but not having internet is a deal killer.

Advertisement

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

The phone is not the reason you are getting t-mobile.
    The reason is that ST stopped selling AT&T sims through their BYOP program. No matter what phone you bring, you will get a t-mobile sim.

You do have some options though. You could find an AT&T sim on eBay or buy a Nokia E71 from ST, activate it, and then put the sim in your galaxy.

Another choice is to switch to their sister company NET10, which sells at&t sims. They are $50 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 1.5 GB of data.

If you stay with ST, just be aware that the data is NOT unlimited. They will throttle you or cut you off anywhere between 500 mb and 2 gb at whim.

breadnatty08 and jhawkkw like this.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

This basically covers it. Net10 is another tracfone subsidy just like Straight Talk, but they still have AT&T sim cards for sale. This would probably be a better choice because AT&T is more likely to have coverage in your area.