1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy SIII Screen Problems??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JMwm70, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JMwm70

JMwm70 Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    I have a galaxy s3 on verizon that i broke. I looked around, but havent found anyone with a similar problem. Months ago I dropped the phone and put a crack about 2" long in the lower right corner and broke the glass under the home button. The phone worked perfectly fine for a while, and then someone else dropped it again. No cracks, not even a scratch, but all touch response in the screen is gone. All the buttons work including the touch ones, and the screen shows picture just as it did before. I tried a factory reset, and it did nothing. Would replacing the glass fix the problem? Or would i need to have the whole LCD assembly replaced?

Advertisement

2. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    There is a digitizer under the glass that senses the touch. You would need both. The glass is actually bonded to the digitizer with a type of glue.

JMwm70 likes this.
  3. JMwm70

JMwm70 Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    So if they are attached, will a glass repair include the digitizer?

4. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    As pointed out by GTWalling, these two are as one. While some people manage to separate the glass from digitizer using heat (hairdryer), they do often experience problems down the line. I think it is just never as good, as factory bounded.
    I would recommend getting the whole digitizer and screen replacement. They used to be quite costly, but given S3 has been around for a while, the price is much better now than before. The reason they cost so much, is that the front is pretty much half the phone. Not just the screen and glass, but sensors, camera etc...