• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy SIII won't start..

Attain????????

Jul 13, 2011
Went to work, phone was working fine, put it in my pocket for an hour or so, bring it out to check and it's off.. okay maybe the battery died, plug it in, nothing, take the battery out, it starts, but it goes from the Samsung screen to the Galaxy SIII screen then goes black, every time, any ideas what could be wrong here? No previous issues with the phone, I can't even connect it to my pc.

Went to work, phone was working fine, put it in my pocket for an hour or so, bring it out to check and it's off.. okay maybe the battery died, plug it in, nothing, take the battery out, it starts, but it goes from the Samsung screen to the Galaxy SIII screen then goes black, every time, any ideas what could be wrong here? No previous issues with the phone, I can't even connect it to my pc.

Hello Attain.

In addition to what Funkylogik said:

Dirty proximity sensor? Clean the top half inch or so of your device screen. It may have gathered enough of something from your pocket to think you're on the phone so is blackening the screen.

Also, it's a good idea to power off, remove sd card, battery and SIM card, wait a bit, then put it all back in and power up now and then if less than normal behavior is noticed.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
What carrier are u on man? Have you left the charger in long enough to know for sure that the battery has power in it?
AT&T
Hello Attain.

In addition to what Funkylogik said:

Dirty proximity sensor? Clean the top half inch or so of your device screen. It may have gathered enough of something from your pocket to think you're on the phone so is blackening the screen.

Also, it's a good idea to power off, remove sd card, battery and SIM card, wait a bit, then put it all back in and power up now and then if less than normal behavior is noticed.
Already done those, the battery was fine, I even tried with another one, took the battery out, sim, sd, still does the same thing, can't even get into the android recovery because once the battery is put in it trys to start then goes black and won't do anything.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Restarted it, and it's still working. Can't believe this :)

So, I've had similar happen to me, but it was a long while ago - sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but I had to boot into recovery, clear cache, and it booted right up. Don't remember what ROM, but never had that problem again. (Heck, can't even remember if it was on my S3, Gnex, or Droid X.)

Upvote 0
When u put the battery in, as soon as the phone starts to boot, hold in home button and volume up and see what happens man

i tried doing that and my phone vibrated, showed the little "recovery mode" text in blue in the top left corner then went black again. i cant get into recovery, download or normal mode. my phone stays on for about 2 seconds everytime i put the battery back in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones