1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support galaxy tab 10.1 ram usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ciju, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Ciju

Ciju Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    hey guys, proud to say i just picked up my first android device after being a blackberry fannatic for so long. Now my question and concern is the ram usage of my device: basically it is saying that 477mb of ram which seems like a lot for havong zero applications open. Is this normal? The galaxy tab we got at work on display (i work retail) shows around 320 mb of used ram only, so im slightly concerned.

Thank you,
    Eric C.

Advertisement

2. Ciju

Ciju Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Also, sorry to double post, but many of the links appear as question marks on this site, and the layout seems to be quiet butchered when im on the Galaxy tab 10.1 (native browser)

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to AF Eric! :)

Re the RAM usage, I wouldn't worry about it, Android is pretty good at managing memory and will free up more should the need arise. I can get you some links on Android task management if you like? RAM usage will also differ between devices so the differences you mention are nothing to worry about either. Are you noticing the tablet running slowly or underperforming compared to the model at work at all?

Also, when you say the links appear as question marks, can you give an example or expand a little? We have a mobile skin which makes things a little easier, scroll down to the bottom of any page and select "AF Mobile" in the pull down at the bottom. Alternatively, there's an app available on the market. you can take a look at it here.

4. Ciju

Ciju Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Hmm, the weirdest thing happened to me, i typed this thread up while I was still at work, and headed home soon after. Once i got home i tried to unlock my tab but it wouldnt start. So i hold down the power button and it starts up again, only now the ram usage is much lower (wont surpass the 400 range once it has been cleared), also the layout of the page seems to have gotten back to the same as it was on my PC. Well regardless thank you for the reply, and ya, if possible which task killer would u recommend?

Also, is there any program that would be efficient in note taking in class? Im thinking it would be,much easier for me to just bring my tab to class then a full fledged laptop (and noone really likes netbooks ;P )

Thanks again

Edit: this was the first reboot ive done ever since i purchased it (last night)

Edit x2: psh,my ram usage increased to 420ish ever since i set up my email as a widget

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Rather than recommend a task killer, I'll go one better and post a video explaining why you don't need one. :p

ANDROID PSA: Task Killers - UNINSTALL NOW!!! - YouTube

If you're unable to watch, there's a good post here explaining why.

Not sure about note taking apps etc, as I've never used them myself. I hear pretty good things about Evernote and Springpad. I think the latter allows you to sync notes with their servers (or your gmail account).

6. bestandroidapp

None

I have advance task manager installed which allow to kill all task in one cleck from the home screen

7. alackman

alackman Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    I think you might have missed the point you quoted?