• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 rooted, need recovery

PizzaG

Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2014
Hey guys, not new to flashing roms installing recoveries and such, but new to anything deeper. I have a nice quad core tablet that hopefully Samsung hasnt made too ridiculous to make for. Anyways, i have it rooted with towelroot and wanting to start playing with the idea of setting up a build environment and start breaking my tab 4 with custom roms that will pry take me 2 years to make, lol. Currently there is no custom recovery and I would love for someone to show/help/guide me in the right direction to getting one working. Currently running 4.4.3, i have the 4.4.1 source from samsung which includes the kernel and such, if that helps any. Running a Qualcomm chipset, snapdragon 400 series. Need any other info, just let me know and i'll try to get it

The exact model as shown on the boot screen is a SM-T530NU
It is a wifi only model, meaning no phone support as far as i know.
In a perfect world, I'd like to have a TWRP 2.8 recovery, a few of the newest android roms, and a custom kernel that supports overclocking.
at this point though, id be super happy with a working recovery. Thanks much guys and hopefully something can be done about this dreadful situation i find myself in. ANYTHING you could tell me or help me with would be greatly appreciated. I figure if i can mod an xbox360, I could learn to Develop for my android device.

On a side note, I poked around IRC a bit trying to get a little insight and such and geez, all people seem to do these days is bash. Why hang out on a channel 24/7 if all you do is spit out bs, insults, and nothing useful in gerneral? Very sad that people arent more helpful. I've spent hours helping people over the years with various things and get great joy from teaching what i know, and I also get great joy from being taught, having that lightbulb moment in my head when it makes sense. But enough of personal feelings

-A few personal questions I have about my device Id like to learn is wether the bootloader is locked, can it be unlocked, does it need to be unlocked for custom recovery/rom?

-Am I correct im my assumptions that porting is basically taking 2 sources, A- being stock, and B- being Cyanogenmod for example and basically inserting the info from A and inserting it correctly into B? I realize alot of compiling/testing but i need to understand basics before i get ******** with it.

oh yeah, and a shoutout to PlayfulGod and your custom kernel for the dreaded mercury/Glory a couple years ago. Was a bummer it was such a pita and you werent able to get a custom rom running on it. could have been a nice phone if everything wasnt so locked down. The only reason i didnt do a burnout on that waste of a phone was your custom kernel, lol

Reactions: Shabbypenguin
Hey guys, not new to flashing roms installing recoveries and such, but new to anything deeper. I have a nice quad core tablet that hopefully Samsung hasnt made too ridiculous to make for. Anyways, i have it rooted with towelroot and wanting to start playing with the idea of setting up a build environment and start breaking my tab 4 with custom roms that will pry take me 2 years to make, lol. Currently there is no custom recovery and I would love for someone to show/help/guide me in the right direction to getting one working. Currently running 4.4.3, i have the 4.4.1 source from samsung which includes the kernel and such, if that helps any. Running a Qualcomm chipset, snapdragon 400 series. Need any other info, just let me know and i'll try to get it

The exact model as shown on the boot screen is a SM-T530NU
It is a wifi only model, meaning no phone support as far as i know.
In a perfect world, I'd like to have a TWRP 2.8 recovery, a few of the newest android roms, and a custom kernel that supports overclocking.
at this point though, id be super happy with a working recovery. Thanks much guys and hopefully something can be done about this dreadful situation i find myself in. ANYTHING you could tell me or help me with would be greatly appreciated. I figure if i can mod an xbox360, I could learn to Develop for my android device.

On a side note, I poked around IRC a bit trying to get a little insight and such and geez, all people seem to do these days is bash. Why hang out on a channel 24/7 if all you do is spit out bs, insults, and nothing useful in gerneral? Very sad that people arent more helpful. I've spent hours helping people over the years with various things and get great joy from teaching what i know, and I also get great joy from being taught, having that lightbulb moment in my head when it makes sense. But enough of personal feelings

-A few personal questions I have about my device Id like to learn is wether the bootloader is locked, can it be unlocked, does it need to be unlocked for custom recovery/rom?

-Am I correct im my assumptions that porting is basically taking 2 sources, A- being stock, and B- being Cyanogenmod for example and basically inserting the info from A and inserting it correctly into B? I realize alot of compiling/testing but i need to understand basics before i get ******** with it.

oh yeah, and a shoutout to PlayfulGod and your custom kernel for the dreaded mercury/Glory a couple years ago. Was a bummer it was such a pita and you werent able to get a custom rom running on it. could have been a nice phone if everything wasnt so locked down. The only reason i didnt do a burnout on that waste of a phone was your custom kernel, lol

Hey man, I ran across your post and thought I would help you out with a clear, usable reply. I am still looking for a custom ROM for my Galaxy Tab 4 (SM-T530NU). Cyanogenmod is available but sound and camera not working yet (http://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4/development/rom-unofficial-cyanogenmod-11-0-t2881588). I just swapped for my previous Galaxy Tab 2 running Dhollmen ROM. Anyway, on to the usable part. I had to do a little backtracking but here you go:

Rooting Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 (SM-T530NU):
-----------------------------------------------
http://theunlockr.com/2014/07/23/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-4-10-1-sm-t530/

TWRP Recovery Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 (SM-T530NU):
--------------------------------------------------------
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tab...rp-2-7-1-0-galaxy-tab-4-10-1-sm-t530-t2830798

Note: I have found that SM-T530 ready utilities, recoveries, etc. work fine on the SM-T530NU. NU apparently is North American region.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones