• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab concernes ...

I am going to sell my iPhone 4 to buy the Galaxy Tab, and I would ask everyone who own one if it is comfortable to make NORMAL phone calls with it, as I will be using it as my primary cellphone(even though I don't use to make or get many phone calls). I know it doesn't have an integrate microphone, so u basically have to hear from the speaker, but is there a way I can get a bluetooth headset that works with it? do you guys use it to make phone calls as well ? how's it ? how long does the battery last ?

Another question, will it be able to get further Android version upgrade? or will it be stuck on 2.2 forever ?

Thanks everyone
Pietro

The European version can be used as a "normal" phone, but not the version in the US. You can pair it with a bluetooth headset though and make calls that way. But honestly I don't know why you'd want to hold a 7 inch slab up to your face to make a phone call anyway. ;)

The G tab is also being sold with a bluetooth pen that has a speaker in it for calls as well. Now that would truly add to the geek factor right there. I might get one just for that reason alone.

Upvote 0
But honestly I don't know why you'd want to hold a 7 inch slab up to your face to make a phone call anyway. ;)

basically because I need to have a cellphone, and as I don't have enough money to buy one, I mean a good one, for now it has to work as my primary cell phone.

However, what I just don't want to do is to hold it on my face cuz people would laugh at me, u know :D, and that's why I was asking if a decent bluetooth headset could be used with it :)

Btw, aside size and bluetooth headset, is there a software that will sync it with my mac? I want to sync contacts, calendars, u know, stuff like that...

Upvote 0
I saw some video review of the galaxy tab and I noticed the web navigation was a bit slow, it wasn't really smooth as it should be. Now, this was with the default browser, is it better with other browser? Have u guys noticed this as well?

Thanks again
Pietro

To many things to consider when looking at a video review...

Were they on a slow 3G or a slow wifi connection? What apps were running in the background? Ect....

I have seen videos where the Tab looks slow, and I have seen videos where it's blazing fast.... Too many unknown variables with a online video review to make a determination...

With 512 RAM and a 1ghz processor, I'd assume that under normal circumstances, it should be pretty snappy......

Upvote 0
basically because I need to have a cellphone, and as I don't have enough money to buy one, I mean a good one, for now it has to work as my primary cell phone.

However, what I just don't want to do is to hold it on my face cuz people would laugh at me, u know :D, and that's why I was asking if a decent bluetooth headset could be used with it :)

Btw, aside size and bluetooth headset, is there a software that will sync it with my mac? I want to sync contacts, calendars, u know, stuff like that...

I'm in a simular position except I can afford and do have a cell phone... I just don't want to carry both... I rarely use phone functions so if I can get it to work with BT and VOIP I will be thrilled and will ditch the cell phone...

I mainly text and email and the Tab fills that need BUT it would be nice to have phone function for the few times a month I need it...

Upvote 0
If it CAN be used as a phone, why have we not seen any plans with talk? Is the phone feature a VOIP in reality? That would make sense why it sounded like a skype call.

In EUROPE it can indeed be used as a phone. Not skype phone calls. Real phone calls. In North America they took the phone features out though you can use it for VOIP. There are plenty of videos around showing the device being used to make phone calls.

Upvote 0
To many things to consider when looking at a video review...

Were they on a slow 3G or a slow wifi connection? What apps were running in the background? Ect....

I have seen videos where the Tab looks slow, and I have seen videos where it's blazing fast.... Too many unknown variables with a online video review to make a determination...

With 512 RAM and a 1ghz processor, I'd assume that under normal circumstances, it should be pretty snappy......

In the latest video I saw it was running over wifi and there were no apps running in background, well, at least thats what the guy said. I was like, wtf .. Maybe slow its a wrong definition, because the loading of the pages was really good but the render of the pages or the pinch and the zoom was really slow, its like the browser wasn't working properly. And I noticed this problem pretty much in every video review I saw so far... I am a bit concerned about this, cuz I am getting it mainly for the navigation, and I want it to be fast and reliable, if the surfing experience will be this shit I better stay the way I am now .

If I had one on hands I would like to try a different browser and see how it react... Can anyone who actually own one tell me if have noticed this slow issue with the default browser, and if things change in better by using another browser??

Thanks

Upvote 0

All Android devices sync calendars and contacts through your Gmail account. If you don't already have an account you'll have to create one. For syncing music, pictures, and video, I would recommend installing DoubleTwist. It is a program similar to iTunes that works well with the Android OS as well as other operating systems. One convenient feature allows you to automatically copy your Itunes playlist to doubletwist so you can sync them to your Android device.

Upvote 0
In EUROPE it can indeed be used as a phone. Not skype phone calls. Real phone calls. In North America they took the phone features out though you can use it for VOIP. There are plenty of videos around showing the device being used to make phone calls.

Ok, so the Euro Tab has talk plans? That's crap.

Upvote 0
All Android devices sync calendars and contacts through your Gmail account. If you don't already have an account you'll have to create one. For syncing music, pictures, and video, I would recommend installing DoubleTwist. It is a program similar to iTunes that works well with the Android OS as well as other operating systems. One convenient feature allows you to automatically copy your Itunes playlist to doubletwist so you can sync them to your Android device.

Nice, Ill surely use it :) Thanks

Upvote 0

How about keeping your old phone and use stand alone slate like the Archos. The Galaxy Tab is rather redundant if you already have a working phone and you'd end up paying for two phone packages.

On the other hand you can just get a non-3g slate and connect it to the phone via bluetooth.

So the thing you have to ask yourself is if you want a phone tablet that can do everything in one package? or a multimedia one that can tether to your existing phone anyway (And not get awkward holding a clipboard to your face)

And regarding the resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasSIA7sexM

It's not really an issue since most apps are designed to fit any of the myrad of cellphone sizes. There are some apps that are specifically designed to work with a single resolution and the android specs says that the device is supposed to add black bars around it. The fix simply tells the OS to ignore specs and resize the app anyway. Worst case, this gets the same effect as an iPod getting force fitted on an iPad.

And one of the commenters is an Archos user that apparently implied that his tablet has spec compatibility disabled by default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones