1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General galaxy vs 4s

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mlee19841, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mlee19841

mlee19841 Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    My upgrade is coming up and I'm looking at both phones. I really want to get the galaxy. People that own the galaxy can u tell me when u take a video about a min or 2 min in length can u send it as a mms using the stock text message program. I had android phones in the past and it wouldn't allow me to do that with the stock messenger. Also hows battery life and is the camera really that bad on it.Thanks for your input.

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    I don't think the camera is bad on the nexus; I found that lowering the exposure setting helps colors look more natural. It takes better pictures than my incredible.

Battery life is about 6 hours with extremely heavy use (4G on, games, web browsing, videos, screen on the whole time) using the extended battery. I can get 9 or more hours easily with medium use (pictures, web browsing using WiFi, reading news, some gaming, screen on for 3 to 4 hours).
    Honestly, I feel that my battery life was better with the stock battery rather than the extended. I haven't done any tests to confirm though.

3. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    There is a reason its called the 4S and not the 4G. Apple doesn't have 4G so most people are comparing a Nexus on 4G which is a well known battery hog to a 4S on 3G.

Point is its not a fair comparison. Put the Nexus on 3G only and your battery life is going to improve greatly. There is a reason Apple didn't put 4G on the phone and it was the battery drain.

See I'd like the choice to select 3G and 4G. 4G is the latest technology so why would I take a phone with slower speed? The 4G option alone makes this a no brainer. Get a Nexus.

vandyman likes this.
  4. fam

fam Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    IT\Photography\Illustrator\Auto Racing
    Sylvania, OH
    also want to be clear I dont think all women should have an iphone, I have converted several women to android and they are all satisfied....after all...size matters ;-)

5. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    USA
    Having used both iOS and Android extensively, I find myself teetering back and forth once I grow tired of one platform. If were to make a few generalities regarding both platforms, it would be thus:

1) iOS is simpler, requires less maintenance, and is consistently fast and responsive in its latest devices. Various devices running iOS (iPhone, iPad, Mac's, etc) all work well together because of Apple's ecosystem. Apple is committed to updates, and no carrier involvement means they are hassle-free and normally without delay. The development community is vigorous and customers are at ease when making purchases through iOS devices. The glass on the iPhone 4(S) hardware may be easily broken, but their industrial design is unequaled.

2) Android (and specifically ICS) is much more customizable, supports many more devices, and has become commoditized. Even with its recent improvements, it's still a geeks OS and a hackers paradise. While the general public may successfully use an Android phone, they likely will not know (and may not even want) to customize the phone. But those of us who like to tinker are drawn to the OS in a big way!

There are so many variables when it comes to recommending a phone. I think those migrating to their first Smartphone who have little technical proficiency should definitely get an iPhone. The tech savvy and tinkerers will likely gravitate more toward Android. However, carrier choice also comes into play. If the person is in a Verizon and is in an LTE area, then I'd definitely recommend an Android LTE phone. I had the iPhone 4 on Verizon and it was very slow on 3G. Same thing on Sprint, maybe even worse from many accounts. On AT&T, I think the iPhone is a much better choice given its HSPA support.

6. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    Industrial Electrician
    South Jersey
    I personally do not get why someone would post anything about the iPhone here in the Gnex threads in the first place.
    Unless they have a vendetta against the GNex.:p

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I was enamored with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but now I think Android hardware and OS has so much more to offer than the 4 and 4S, and the GNex is the best combination of what Android has to offer IMO. But I am a technonut. My wife has a Droid 3, and my MIL's Stratosphere will be arriving today (they are both physical keyboard addicts). But I honestly think the iPhone would be better for them, if they were willing to use a touchscreen only device. I have to do everything for them, and while I don't mind because I love messing with gadgets, I really want them to have what is right for them. It really is a combination of personal preference with some technical proficiency thrown in for good measure.

8. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    I don't think either phone is better then the other , it's all about personal preference . If you like iOS and the more pocket friendly size then get the 4s if you like the customization options of Android and huge HD screen the Galaxy Nexus is for you

I carry two phones with me my everyday phone is my Galaxy Nexus on VZW then I have a HTC EVO 4G on CBeyond (sprint) I honestly don't use my 2nd phone much mainly just to keep my business stuff separate . I hate carrying around two large phones , I'll be getting rid of the EVO soon and an Iphone is on my short list of phones I'm going to look at . I want a smaller phone for work and unfortunately there aren't many smaller sprint android phones that are any good

Tags: