• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gallery & Camera App & backup to Dropbox

Maz Hakimi

Lurker
Apr 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am using galaxy note 5. I am looking to some basic understanding of how Gallery app & Camera app works. Additionally, I backup my pictures to Dropbox. This all is creating duplicate pictures and it is driving me crazy.

• Camera app: is showing not just the pictures I take with my phone but WhatsApp pictures and videos.
    • Why this happens and how can I set it up to see only the pictures I take and not the WhatsApp pictures and videos.
  • Gallery app: Now I know little better than by using this app you can see things in different folders such as Camera.
    • Also what I have noticed is that not all WhatsApp pictures and video shows up in pictures under gallery.
  • Dropbox backup: why the backup doesn’t synchronize when I delete the pictures and video from Dropbox back the phone and vice versa.
Thanks for your help as I am tired of clean up my pictures and video on my phone and Dropbox.

There's a folder on your phone named, 'DCIM' (Digital Camera IMages) that's become an industry standard. That's the common default storage folder intended to be used to save photos into by your Camera app, your texting app, etc. (Browsers unfortunately do not, usually defaulting to a common 'Downloads' folder). If you can, double-check your apps to use that DCIM folder as a default if you've changed any of them previously. It's a lot easier for any photo manager app (in your instance, the Gallery app), and yourself, to keep the number of photo storage folders down to a minimum. The more places you have photos getting dumped into, the harder it is to manage them, ideally you want to centralize your photo library as much as allowable. Until you get that straightened out, having an online backup & syncing service set up is just adding to the mix.
Regarding Dropbox, a couple of years ago it enacted a change regarding photo uploads for its app in a move to force users to opt for the pay-for version. (If you already had an account back then you should have received an email about it and there was a pop blurb when you'd log into your account via the webmail interface.)
https://www.ghacks.net/2016/06/22/dropbox-camera-upload/
This might be a possible reason why you're phone isn't syncing with your Dropbox account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones