• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gallery errors in Galaxy S7

smasheroO16

Feb 12, 2017
Hi — Can anyone tell me how to make the Gallery of a Samsung Galaxy S7 accurately reflect the order in which photos are stored in DCIM?

In DCIM, they appear in a certain order, but in Gallery, they are mixed up. Even in cases where they are not mixed up, frequently, they are shown in Ascending order, whereas in DCIM, the original files are stored in Descending order. Also, even where the order in DCIM is deliberately reversed by me, this change is not reflected in the Gallery.

It's all so frustrating! Thanks in advance, for any useful comment. By the way, the phone software is up-to-date.
Smasheroo

. I use ...
A+ Gallery Phots & Videos – organizer for photos and videos
... and you can chose the sort order.

It is the only place I ever found "group by year" and "group by color" options.

... Thom
Thanks for that, Thom. I shall investigate it. Really, it's not my phone, but my wife's, and she does not like to use the internet. Could I download this app on my Mac computer, and install it from there? (I am not very savvy where smartphones are concerned).

Upvote 0
I REALLY find the display of all images each year to be extremely helpful option. You remember the image. You don't remember the name. You don't remember when.

Thom — that's something I shall have a look at, when the time is right. I can see how it would help, when the. image name and date has been forgotten. By the way, today, I installed A+ Gallery for my wife, and she is absolutely delighted. Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Thom — that's something I shall have a look at, when the time is right. Thanks so much for your help.

Thom: I hope that I am not presuming on your patience in asking a further question, but here goes. When my wife was looking at her pictures with A+ Gallery, she clicked a tab called Places. This called up a picture behind which was a map, with satellite option if desired. My wife uses Pau-As-You-Go, and, seeing the map, she was afraid that if she used the Places facility, she would have charges (for Internet use) applied to her precious credit balance. I suspect that her concern may be well-grounded. However, is there any comment that you can make about this? If it does cause charges to be applied, is there any way of turning the Places facility off? I am assuming that you will be able to give a definitive answer. Thanks in anticipation!
Smasheroo

Upvote 0
I am a user of this app inside continual US.
I do not have an app called pay-as-you-go installed.
I can find no "tab" in A+ Gallery called "Places".
I am at a loss as to an answer to your question.

The only thing I could do is assume I knew the answer and that is not good enough.

I recommend that you direct any question like this one directly to the app developer for a definitive answer.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I am a user of this app inside continual US.
I do not have an app called pay-as-you-go installed.
I can find no "tab" in A+ Gallery called "Places".
I am at a loss as to an answer to your question.

The only thing I could do is assume I knew the answer and that is not good enough.

It's OK, Thom, that you can't enlighten me. However, just to clarify, Pay-As-You-Go is not an app — it is the way in which my wife pays for her texts etc. She pays in advance, and all her usage is deducted from her credits as each text is sent (etc.). Otherwise, it would be a monthly-paid regular contract (which might, for example, allow a user to send a zillion texts a month and have a thousand minutes of talk-time on her phone. Also, perhaps, 5 GB internet downloads). So, she uses an option by which she is not committed to such heavy usage, since she does not need to send so many texts. The P-A-Y-Go system seems not to be available, then, for users in the USA. (We are in the UK.)
I shall try to contact the makers of A+ Gallery, and ask them for information. Thanks for your reply.
With kind regards,
S.

Upvote 0
An easier way to test if it will use data (and therefore charge you wife's account) is to turn all data off and then take a picture. See if it plots it correctly on the map.

My guess is that it is using geotagging data stored in the image file to plot it on a map. The GPS coordinates don't use data, but downloading the maps will. However, if it's a place you've already been, you probably have those maps cached.

@Thom 's suggestion to ask the developer is probably your most definitive source of information. Developers are usually quite happy to answer questions about their apps. :)

Upvote 0
@Thom 's suggestion to ask the developer is probably your most definitive source of information. Developers are usually quite happy to answer questions about their apps. :)

Yes, that is what I did. Just to conclude this thread, and for the benefit of any that may find this information useful, here is what I learned from the developer.
1) Only if one "goes into" Places is there a use of data. The maps shown there are derived from the Internet, so to view them or to manipulate them does incur a data charge. Only by refraining from "going into" Places can charges be avoided.

To avoid any risk of opening Places (which appears in the list of Album icons), do a "long press' on the Places icon. A menu appears, which allows you to command: Hide Places. It then disappears completely.
With thanks to those that have replied to my queries,
Smasheroo

Reactions: Thom and lunatic59
Upvote 0
Fascinating ... to verify ...
We are talking about the current version of the app A+ Gallery in Play Store ... correct?
Are you using the free version or one of the paid options?

The reason I ask ... I have the paid version and am not seeing what you are seeing. I have just sent an e-mail to the developer about that.
  • I can find no reference to Places in the app and do not know what "goes into" Places means.
  • I have tried three different phones under 4.4.4, 6.0.1, and 7.0.
  • On the 7.0 phone I stopped, uninstalled, did a Wipe Cache Partition, and reinstalled.
  • I cannot find Places or a Places icon. I have never seen the map you reference.
Fascinating.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Are you using the free version or one of the paid options?

Thom — It's the paid version, and I obtained it in exactly the way you recommended (via Play Store). The phrase "go into" is my own, and by it, I mean to make it active and to "mess about" with it. It puzzles me, too, that you don't see a "Places" icon. For me, it was real enough to be a bit of a problem!

Upvote 0
I installed the app and Places was pretty prominent for me as well.

Screenshot_20170401-171821.png

Upvote 0
The developer got back to me. In order to create the Places album you must have Geo Tagging enabled.

To conserve battery I compulsively run with Location disabled. I only able it when in a situation where I want to use it.

If I enable Location and take a picture (I use Camera JB+) and then load A+ Gallery the Places Album is present and the background map is displayed if I select it.

If I turn Location off and take a picture nothing new is added to the Places album.

... Thom

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones