• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gallery is driving me nuts!

psumichael

Lurker
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all,

I just replaced my original Droid (had it from about the day it came out) under warranty because it started going crazy (emailing people on its own, etc.).

Well, I was just putting the new Droid through the paces and my experience browsing pictures in the Gallery is not going well. Many times when I try to flick a picture left or right to go to the next or previous pic, instead of doing that, my Droid either zooms in on the pic or moves the picture to a different part of the screen (what the hell is the purpose of that!?!?). I don't remember ever being frustrated by this on my last Droid.

Anyone else having the same issue? I've figured out that for landscape orientation pictures if I flick the part of the screen below or above the pic it does seem to go forward or backwards reliably but that doesn't work well with portrait orientation since there's no real empty space above or below the pic. Should I just throw in the towel and download a 3rd party photo viewing app? Thanks!

I'm using the Droid's 3D gallery on my HTC Magic and I'm not experiencing any issues whatsoever. Maybe if you reset your phone and reformat the SD card that would help. Backup everything though in case this doesn't work.

Thanks for the response! The issue isn't with the photos themselves. It appears that the algorithm that determines whether or not you're flicking to get to the next picture or the previous picture is not working well. The program thinks I want to zoom in instead of interpreting the flick as a command to go to the next picture. Is anyone else finding this sort of behavior?

Upvote 0
I would guess that that is the touch screen detecting two points of contact (multitouch) and therefore when one of them moves, it's seen as a pinching/anti-pinching(?) motion... If you're sure you're only touching the screen in one place, it could be a defective touch sensor (keep in mind that I'm really not very knowledgeable on these matters... I'm just theorizing).

Test my theory by using a multitouch aware browser (droids with 2.1 have this I think???)... of the same type of actions on the browser cause the same sort of zooming behavior, to me that points to a fault with the touch sensing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones