1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gallery Photo Transfer Help Needed

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by cspowers, Dec 25, 2011.

1. cspowers

cspowers Lurker

Hi all,

Brand new to Android here so forgive me if I am missing something obvious. I'm using the Galaxy Samsung Nexus with ICS. I came from an iPhone 3 and I loving Android so much better than iOS I can't hardly describe it.

BUT

I have a nagging problem with Gallery and Picasa Web Albums, and Picasa Desktop.

I have a google account which I have been using for years. That google account is registered with Google+ and I also have several blogger blogs under the google account.

So if I go to Picasa Web Albums, I see a web album for every one of the blogger blogs and an album for my google posts etc. OK fine. No big deal. I never really used the Picasa Web Albums for anything else. But they never got in the way of anything either.

When I had my iPhone, I could take pictures with the iPhone camera. When I hooked it to the laptop, Windows would launch the Picasa desktop. And I could import pictures to Picasa desktop from the iPhone and then delete them from the iPhone.

So on the Nexus, I take pictures with the camera no problem. If I open Gallery, I will see an "album" called Camera and there are the pictures I took. So far so good. But I also see a bunch of other albums from Picasa Web albums. I don't want them there, but they aren't hurting anything really.

But here's the problem. When I hook the nexus up to the computer, It launches the USB picture transfer protocol and Picasa Desktop import starts up. But it starts trying to import ALL pictures from ALL albums in Gallery which includes all my Google+ pictures and all the picasa web albums. 6,000 pictures in all that I don't want to import. I just want to import the 6 pictures in the "camera" album.

I can't find a way to configure everything to make this happen. Any suggestions?

I would like for gallery to show me albums only for the camera and the two or three folders I've dragged to the Photos directory. I don't want to see the Picasa Web Albums or the Google+ albums.

Or at least, I want to configure it so that only the Camera folder is synched.

Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cspowers

cspowers Lurker

Howdy,

I tried to delete this post but could not find a way to delete it. But I wanted to at least post a reply to note that the problem I'm having turns out not to be related to the Gallery program at all.

To make a long story short, the problem is that when the picture transfer protocol is initiated, it tries to transfer every single file on the galaxy nexus storage. And it turns out that I have about 500 picture files in the artwork folder of the google music area.

Picasa crashes trying to load that many pictures, but the built in Microsoft picture transfer wizard was able to handle it. So I used that to import the pictures into the picasa picture folder. Next time I started picasa it discovered the imported picture because I have the folder being watched by Picasa.

So I did some reading. And I see lots of mentions of a .nomedia file telling Android to ignore media files in that directory. I looked and there is a .nomedia file in the artwork directory, but the Picture transfer protocol seems to not be respecting it.

That seems to be the fundamental problem now. And I am going to post this as a new topic/thread.