1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gallery recognizes too much media.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by s_special, Sep 21, 2011.

1. s_special

s_special Android Enthusiast

Is there a way to manage what's displayed in the media gallery? I use dog catcher for watching and managing podcasts but my gallery recognizes those files and makes unnecessary thumbnails, (even if the media is deleted by doggcatcher thumbnails remain )
    Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert

As with any Android device, if you rename a folder to a name that starts with a "." (.Podcast) then the gallery and any other media apps (Music, etc) will not see the folder. Unfortunately, your Dog Catcher app might not see the folder either. Not sure, never used it.

s_special likes this.
  3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

s_special likes this.
  4. s_special

Going to try it, thanks

5. s_special

OK, i made a folder with a "." in front nd then told doggcatcher to store files there. I deleted all the old thumbnails. Everything worked fine but the gallery still made new thumbnails from new downloads to doggcatcher. Weird! So I guess the gallery is still searching in folders with the "." in front

6. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

You could also add an empty file named ".nomedia" which tells the various apps there is no media in this folder even though there is. That includes music, pics, vids. You still have access to the contents and can view them via a file manager. It's also a good way to "hide" any naughty pictures you might not want someone playing with your phone to see.

The easiest way to do this is hunt around with a file manager and find a folder with that file in there then copy it into the directory of choice.

s_special likes this.
  7. s_special

Perfect!!! Thanks for the help!

8. s_special

I take that back. The gallery is still creating new thumbnails. omg This shit is frustrating!

9. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

If you install QuickPic like mhotovec suggested, it will allow you to hide directories but it really uses the method I outlined. I prefer it as a viewer, regardless of that feature.

10. s_special

I did download that app but it doesn't display alot of my videos I want to see in My gallery. It must not support wmv.

11. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast

For album art change the file name to AlbumArt.jpg and the gallery won't show it.

12. s_special

The app DoggCatcher is doing the naming which can't be altered in the app preferences. The only control I have is where the app root folder is stored.

13. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

With incredible as Android is, I'm surprised nobodies addressed this glaring oversight yet.

14. s_special

+ 1