1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Game emulators link

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by yzingerr, Sep 22, 2011.

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    SF Bay
    If you are like me, you bought the nesoid/snesoid emulators from the market and loved them.
    Got a Bionic, now you don't have access to them anymore..
    Well, the dev feels for me n you!
    Here is the download link for yongzh's emus..free!

https://slideme.org/user/yongzh

Advertisement

dr.pepper1 and rhynokey like this.
  2. rhynokey

rhynokey Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Thanks for the link. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why these were removed?

3. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    SF Bay
    Np!

Well, be it the result of manufacturer complaints or other issues, Google has taken a heavy hand against one of the Android emulation scene's brightest stars. The company has suspended the Android developer account for Yongzh, otherwise known as Yong Zhang. He's the creator of the popular "-oid" series of android emulation apps, including Nesoid, Snesoid, N64oid, and Gameboid, to name a few.

According to Zhang, in an interview with Engadget, his developer account has been officially removed from Google's Android Market and all his apps have been deleted. This was allegedly Zhang's primary moneymaker. Though he's since moved his emulation apps over to the third-party market SlideME, he's listed them all as free downloads. Zhang says that the apps will stay free for a bit of time as prior purchasers migrate over to the new app store

4. paulscode

paulscode Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    I don't know much about Yongzh's other emulators, but N64oid was (and continues to be) in direct violation of the GPL, which Mupen64Plus (the basis for N64oid) is licensed by. The violation is from the fact that sections of the code are left closed-source. The relevant section of the GPL:

It would be fairly simple for him to be compliant with the GPL and still keep parts of the code closed-source. He would just need to distribute those sections as a separate app on the Android market. Bundling them into a single app, no matter how you slice it, constitutes distributing "sections as part of a whole". I have no idea if this was Google's motivation for removing Yongzh's apps from the market, but it is something he should watch out for, because he is still in violation of the GPL.