• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gameloft wants you to pirate their games.

seretogis

Apr 30, 2010
Seattle
Pardon the cross-posting but I thought it deserved to be mentioned here as well. Original post: http://androidforums.com/android-news-talk/85498-you-might-want-take-look-gameloft-s-drm-policy.html

If for any reason your phone gets lost or stolen, if you need to buy a new phone or get your data wiped (due to updates to the firmware), or anything that would compromise the ongoing state of your Android installation, you simply cannot reinstall that game without purchasing it again.

[..]

If you

Reactions: ballisticn8
Too late for me, I've already supported this insanity with the purchase of one game! :(
They'll be getting NO MORE money from me that's for sure.

I love supporting Android devs and the likes of Gamevil, Hyperdevbox, Com2Us and Infinite Dreams (plus all the others I've purchased games from!) all do it right through the Market. Gameloft can GTFO from now on.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I haven't bought any of their stuff yet. I will neither support or play any of their titles until such time that they decide to respect their customers and standards put in place by a much more successful company (Google; and use the marketplace for payment/verification). I'd urge people to not pirate their games however, as every download is justification to further restrict content (see ubisoft as an example).

Upvote 0
I plan to give Gameloft none of my precious funds :p, especially if I cannot re-install them if I flash a new ROM or whatever. So far I have only gotten Hero of Sparta working by downloading the data files that somebody uploaded, but not from this forum though. It works really well.

I also got the data files for Gangstar, but I have yet to get it to read that the data files on the SD Card. The game will load, but it tells me that I need to download the data files in order to play, otherwise it forces you to quit the app.

I think I just need to figure out exactly what folder the data files need to be put in on the SD Card. I'll figure it out one way or another :cool:. (Hopefully)

Upvote 0
I also got the data files for Gangstar, but I have yet to get it to read that the data files on the SD Card. The game will load, but it tells me that I need to download the data files in order to play, otherwise it forces you to quit the app.

I think I just need to figure out exactly what folder the data files need to be put in on the SD Card. I'll figure it out one way or another :cool:. (Hopefully)

Just switch to WiFi and download the files, worked for me on my HTC Incredible. (Although I uninstalled; not my type of game).

Upvote 0
Just switch to WiFi and download the files, worked for me on my HTC Incredible. (Although I uninstalled; not my type of game).

Well, I am actually deployed to Iraq ATM and I do not have access to WiFi. The only internet access I have is on my work computer, so I am pretty much SOL on that part. Someone uploaded the files to like rapishare or whatever, and I downloaded them and then I put them in the folder that the app makes when you initially try to run it, but it won't recognize that the files are there for some reason. I just may not be in the correct file path, but I don't know exactly what the file path is. Freaking sucks being deployed, and NOT having internet access for my phone to download and keep up with stuff. :mad:

Upvote 0
Thanks for serving in Iraq! We should send you an access point for you to hook up to your computer and give yourself a little WiFi. That would probably make a nice care package for a soldier...

I just wouldn't want my comrades to know I was that addicted... Heck, maybe you could rent time out to them... those that uh, aren't addicted either but just want to get their phones/PSPs/DSis on the internet. You might even be able to lure some enemies in if they come around and try to leech off your WiFi.;)

Reactions: Vegito168
Upvote 0
Gameloft will not be seeing a dime from me. I already pirated all of their games. Its sad because they actually make good games that I would be willing to pay for, but I will not tolerate this idiodic DRM that only punishes the honest customer.

That's the spirit!!!! That's what Gameloft deserves! :D So.........how about sharing any possible upload links for the data files of some of these "pirated" games. ;)

Thanks for serving in Iraq! We should send you an access point for you to hook up to your computer and give yourself a little WiFi. That would probably make a nice care package for a soldier...

I just wouldn't want my comrades to know I was that addicted... Heck, maybe you could rent time out to them... those that uh, aren't addicted either but just want to get their phones/PSPs/DSis on the internet. You might even be able to lure some enemies in if they come around and try to leech off your WiFi.;)

Your very welcome! It's an honor to serve. I am in the Air Force. Yeah, it sure would be nice to have an access point, but its OK, I'll survive. LOL! Yeah, sure don't need the enemy leeching off my WiFi, cuz then we'd have to shoot'em! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones