1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gaming on Tegra 2 or hummingbird

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Socrats, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Socrats

Socrats Member

Tegra 2 is optimized to play games like a computer. I guess they are trying to compete with samsung galaxy s. Which device would you prefer to game on, Tegra 2 or a hummingbird galaxy s?

Advertisement

2. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

tegra 2...but the new SGS2 (which does not use hummingbird or powerVR) is very competitive.

3. Socrats

Socrats Member

yea.... doesn't the new sgs use orion?

4. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

it's now called exynos and uses the ARM Mali GPU.

5. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

there's another consideration and that's the screen. SGS always had great color from the s-amoled screen. But it had a pentile grid that wasn't so sharp. The new SGS 2 doesn't have this problem anymore.

6. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

I'm gaming Spectral Souls on my Nexus S right now. Works great. The game is a Sony PSP port, Japanese tactical RPG with anime characters. The installer installs a massive 1GB app directly into your SD. By tactical RPG I mean the characters fight in a 3D grid on a turn based fashion. If you have played Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics, you should know what I mean.

7. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Hummingbird is behind Tegra 2. However, The updated platform Exynos is on par with Tegra 2.
    The question is - does the Tegra Zone (app store for Tegra 2 platforms) make a difference? If HD quality games (like from Gmaeloft) make their way to Tegra Zone exclusive, then Tegra 2 has an advantage here.

8. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

That's the thing about nvidia. They really really care about gamers. They have the experience. TI, qualcomm and Samsung aren't known for games; they just make nice things for phones.

9. Socrats

Socrats Member

I'm not going to call you a liar, but I don't think that Tegra 2 is based off of hummingbird.

10. Medion

Medion Android Expert

Qualcomm's GPU was purchased from AMD/ATI, so they have a history there. TI and Samsung are using PowerVR GPUs in their SOCs. PowerVR used to havea PC line, and even made the GPU for the Dreamcast and many arcade machines.

I don't think that's what he was saying. He was comparing their relative performance, not insisting they were from the same line. At least, that's what I got out of it.

jroc likes this.
  11. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

nVidia is nVidia. They don't need anyone else's GPU.

12. Socrats

Socrats Member

exactly