• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gaming on the Kyocera Rise

LightyKD

Feb 28, 2011
We should use this thread for all gaming related things on this phone. I can confirm that the following work...

- OnLive (touch buttons lag but if you remap your games to the keyboard you should be fine)
- Dead Trigger (lag but not unplayable)
- Shadowgun Deadzone (major lag and some force closings -then again this game is also in beta)
- Blood & Glory (minor lag but very playable)

The following Gameloft games play but all force close after a good minute of playtime
- Gangstar West Coast
- NOVA
- Hero of Sparta

The following emulators work
- Mupen64 Plus AE (Nintendo 64)

I have yet to root my phone and try any Chainfire related tricks. Someone who has tried, please feel free to tell me how that goes. I will be adding to the list as time goes by. I'm also looking for games with cloud save support. My tablet is main portable android gaming device and I don't want this phone overshadowing that. Dead Trigger and Shadowgun Deadzone are great titles because I can share my saves. I wonder if Six Guns would be another cloud title.

I rooted my phone using this tutorial (I think... :/ )

Kyocera Rise root Tutorial. - YouTube

Problem is Chainfire is hanging on "Checking superuser" and root checker is telling me that the system is being slow. Anybody else have any luck getting chainfire to run on this device?

EDIT: I had to push the root again. All is good. I'm installing the Chainfire driver now and Will give everyone a heads up on which games work better with Chainfire!

Upvote 0
UPDATE

The following EA titles work extremely well..
- Sims 3
- Need for Speed: Shift
- Dead Space

It seems like all Gameloft games crash on this phone. The versions I have are ARMv6 HVGA (from andropalace) but I can't seem to find any ARMv7 HVGA copies

- NOVA
- Hero of Sparta
- Assassin's Creed
- Dungeon Hunter
- Gangstar West Coast

They all play for a few seconds in game and then force close. Maybe someone can figure this out. If you need files for testing, PM me and Ill help you out.

Many games tend to freeze, lag or have unresponsive screens. Such is the case with Shadowgun. I was able to install it after running the installer THREE times. Upon gameplay the damn game barely responds to my touch input. Anywho, we have a start here so people, feel free to give your input. Also, a fair warning, DO NOT BUY ANY GAMES FROM THE PLAY STORE UNTIL SUCH GAME HAS BEEN PROPERLY TESTED. It's starting to become quickly obvious that this is not a gaming phone. Sad thing is, the downgrade of this phone (the Kyocera Milano) handled many of these games with no issues.

Upvote 0
Order and Chaos is also a Gameloft game. I do not have a crashing problem's with it. Played it for about a hour one night.

Just tested Asphalt 7 Heat (Gameloft). Really long initial load time. Completed one race with no crashing (~5min). Left it at the menu afterwords for about 10minutes. Seems to run ok. The game is so huge though, I will be uninstalling it.

Note: I am not using chainfire.

Upvote 0
I got Need For Speed: Most Wanted running on this phone. Load times are long and there is noticeable lag when multiple cars are on screen but the game is very playable and pretty. I wonder if a lot of the lag in these games stem from memory issues.

Also, would someone be kind to test the following

_ Modern Combat 2 or 3
-NOVA 2 or 3
- Madden 12
- Tiger Woods 12

Upvote 0
Hey guess what? I just got Modern Combat 3 to work and it runs great. Even better with gore turned off. Just wanted to let you know. Also, Max Payne, Sonic 4 episode 2, Rayman Jungle Run, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 v1.07 all work for the Rise. Update: I finally did it!! It took some thinking, but Modern Combat 4 v1.0.2 works for the Keyocera rise! Note: You NEED Chainfire 3D to make it work. Enable all functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones