• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gaming PC Build (BF4 Ready?) for 650-750$

jetx2x

Android Expert
Mar 24, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Getting ready to build me a very decent gaming rig... I already have a case, psu (650w), dvd drive, etc blah blah in hand... wanting to get these items to complement them and hopefully end up with something able to handle bf4 at a decent resolution. Also I want this to be AMD based. ;)

CPU:
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - $169

GPU:
SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 - $320

Motherboard:
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ - $99

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $67

HDD (Only because 250GBs isn't enough for gaming AND AOSP work :( ):
TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - $70

Total - $725

Considering those specs... What do you think? Worth it? Any alternate suggestions? I NEED FEEDBACK! :D

That build is 1000000x better than my current rig... Core 2 quad 2.4ghz, Radeon hd 6450, 6gbs DDR2 :mad:. It can build jellybean in about 2+ hours and gives me crap performance when it comes to gaming... TIME FOR CHANGE!!! :D:D:D

Reactions: jetx2x
Upvote 0
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz is cheaper but has better bench marks.
GeForce GTX 760 is $50 cheaper and just as fast.
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com cheaper Motherboard.
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR - Newegg.com cheaper ram Ram $60

Made changes based on your recommendations and got the total all the way down to $615 + 15 for a cheap gaming mic set... Add 60 for bf4 and my total hits 690... Which is not as bad as I thought

Upvote 0
Just an update... Below is the order summary for the parts I purchased... Only issue I had is the mb came installed with a bios that didn't support the fx series processors... And without a supported processor I couldn't update the bios for the fx processors... So the only solution was to find a cheap am3 processor in order to update correctly... The other processor will be here by Monday and that slight issue will be corrected... Will update again later

Attachments

• 1380906484863.jpg
    1380906484863.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
I would have gotten this memory form AMD.
Newegg.com - AMD Radeon Entertainment Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AE38G1609U1K

I currently have it in my sponsored #AMDTestDrive computer.

And I had the same problem with my #AMDTestDrive computer, they gave me a motherboard without the latest update installed on the bios, so when I tried to update them, I needed a new processor from last generation to update the bios. AMD sent me another motherboard for free. MSI was not pleasant to deal with for the motherboard, but ASUS is great.

Upvote 0
Another update... Not only was there an incompatible bios... But I had some grounding issues... The case screws were interfering with the power to the CPU therefore no boot... The phenom x2 processor I got off of eBay arrived... Still didn't work... Figured out the grounding issue... Booted... Upgraded bios... Now I'm all set to go... Just have to fix the grounding issues

Upvote 0
I bought the above build and with my gtx 760 I get 45-55fps on the bf4 beta... Ultra @1080p
so would you recommend the 760 over the 780? just a question sorry to highjack your thread, been contemplating if i really wanted to pay 650+ for this 780 which has titan components in it. reviews for it are great, but i prefer end user experience

Upvote 0
so would you recommend the 760 over the 780? just a question sorry to highjack your thread, been contemplating if i really wanted to pay 650+ for this 780 which has titan components in it. reviews for it are great, but i prefer end user experience

You may want to look into the $300 radeon r9 280x... Its comparable to the gtx 770 but cheaper

Upvote 0
I've read that BF4 will be optimised for AMD cards and from some reviews of the beta they've said that the game crashes on some Nvidia cards.

Like I said... I could get 45-55fps on average and occasionally up to 70 on my 760... The performance on the beta from PC to PC was very sporadic... Guys with 770's were complaining about performance less than mine so I consider myself one of the lucky few with good performance... Can't judge anything on the beta so we will just have to wait until the full release to be able to judge a card based on its performance on that particular game... Fyi everyone crashed on the beta... For every possible reason... It sucked and DICE stated that we were using an older version of the game on the beta (pre alpha beta? o_O) so that argument is null... :p... But still... These new radeon cards are the best option right now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones